First time, check my recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpicyMagnum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
This is my first time making soap, and I think I've come up with a decent recipe to try and sell in stores. I was just hoping I could get some pointers or critiques, the recipe is:
Avocado 10%
Castor 5%
Coconut 30%
Palm 30%
Olive 25%
Plus some Grapefruit Seed Extract and a 10% superfat.

I'm really looking to make a professional grade soap that wont strip skin or leave a gross feeling. Let me know what you think... and any tips for beginners are very welcome. Thanks so much in advance.

As is, it has a cleansing # of 20. That is too high for me. I don't go higher that 20% on CO. Add the difference to your OO. Also 10% is too high a sf to sell, too much free oil that can go rancid. Before you sell please, do your research, test your product over a year's time to see how it will react. Read attached link http://www.soapmakingforum.com./showthread.php?t=16002

your recipe looks fine. 30% co personally ain't that drying for me, esp. with a 10% SF, it should be fine. plus, there's avo that's supposed to be very moisturizing.

that said, selling soap is not only about having a recipe that you think is decent. like roseb said, there are many factors around it that cannot be done in a week, or a month. we are talking about other ppl using your product. you are exchanging money for your soap. and ppl's skin react differently to different things, that alone is scary enough if you are unsure that you have a sell worthy product that is safe.

please take your time, do your 1st batch, and your 2nd... 3rd, so on.. experiments with different oils and different SF values and take notes.. have family and friends to be your guinea pigs :D

I am learning that there is SO much more to selling soap that making good soap. And that making good soap is more a matter of experience than recipes.
Just have fun with it, see what works for you :)
BTW I find 30% CO drying at 5% SF, but try the 10% SF and see how it works. Thats what I'm trying on my latest bastille.

Latest posts

Back