First time buying EO - which scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've found a supplier that's reputable here with prices that are really good, and I'm willing to try few EOs. However I have to order in 1 litre quantity minimum, each.
:eek: ACK! If t'were me, the first thing I would do is find a supplier with smaller minimums! Although not specific to India, once again, Kenna of Modern Soapmaking and EO Calc fame, has some good advice about purchasing EOs and where to purchase them:
Where to Buy Essential Oils for Soapmaking
I think we have a few other members from India. I would wait a bit before purchasing to see if they have any suggestions for you.

Wintergreen is pricey, but I like it better than even spearmint. I really don't like peppermint, but when you need just that touch of minty scent without using a lot, peppermint is my go-to. I never, ever use just the mints alone. That single note would become overpowering, unlike something like lemongrass or litsea.

And patchouli triggers my gag reflex, so that is right out for me. (I grew up in the 60's, so it has been a life-long aversion.)

I find that more people like peppermint than spearmint. It is crisper and doesn't have the sweetness. However, it does provide a "tingle" that isn't always pleasant and I will not make a straight peppermint soap. Sometimes spearmint is identified too much with chewing gum mints and I have a couple of customers who won't purchase a spearmint blend. In blends with woody scents I like spearmint better because of the sweetness. Spearmint and rosemary with a bit of lavender is nice. As much as I like mints there are plenty of people that don't so purchasing a pound will be a lot of mint unless you really like mint soaps.

Do you use fragrance oils? I do have some blends that are EO/FO together. I use a bit of mint with Yuzu FO; cedarwood or patchouli can sometime really add to an earthy FO. As much as I like lavender it is so expensive at current times that I will use a lavender FO with a mint EO.

Interesting that we all have different experiences. My customers love my Garden Mint which is a blend of Peppermint, Spearmint and Eucalyptus. A very good seller and one that people ask for.

I don't use a lot of EO's but do use the following: Patchouli, Lavender, Orange 10x, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass and Litsea.

I make a charcoal soap with Lavender, Peppermint & Tea Tree. And will blend my straight up lavender soaps with a mix of EO/FO as it sticks longer and I've never gotten DOS with it.

I think spearmint probably plays well with others too, but that might just be my opinion.
Mine too :)
EOs (and FOs) go off and lose their scent over time.
How long will it take you to use a litre of 4 or 5 scents?
I didn't think about this. But if he stores em properly and uses them always maybe it'll be ok? Maybe he can decant them so he's not always opening the original bottle?

I bought 30ml bottles initially several monthsand I'm only halfway done with them, but that's coz I rarely scent my soaps and when I do they're on the fainter side of the minimum for HP, not CP..

Edit: I checked some online suppliers and their prices for smaller bottles are good, better than they stuff I'm getting here. I've been trying to get SO to bring over a big chunk of mango butter too lols

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back