First successful Milk batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_Gadmer

Reaction score
After the helpful suggestion to use a split method, I added my buttermilk the oils before the lye, then placed in the freezer to prevent gelling. It does look like it cracked on top, but I can't tell how far down it goes... Not ready to cut yet, but will post the follow up :)

On another thought, does not gelling change the curing time?

Oatmeal Milk and Honey Soap.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it cut! How does it smell at the moment?

Curing time isn't changed much by gelling as far as I can tell - you might notice a big difference between a week old gelled soap and a week old ungelled soap, but then the differences between a 4 week old gelled soap and a 4 week old ungelled soap won't be quite as noticeable.

congrats! what material did you use to shape the top? bubble wrap?

yes, as an afterthought, a scrap piece of bubble wrap that was nearby. It didn't quite cover the whole top I didn't want to waste time searching for more. I left some of the oatmeal unground, and put those at the bottom of the mold so that they will be on the other side of the bar.

thank you for the share. I've always wanting to make such shape. looks great! :) can't wait to see you cut them out

Looking forward to seeing it cut! How does it smell at the moment?

Curing time isn't changed much by gelling as far as I can tell - you might notice a big difference between a week old gelled soap and a week old ungelled soap, but then the differences between a 4 week old gelled soap and a 4 week old ungelled soap won't be quite as noticeable.

It smells wonderful! Like a toned down version of the FO, which is good for me, because I thought the FO scent was maybe a bit too sweet.

It looks like it may have overheated some anyway by the crack in it. It looks nice though, I like the bubble wrap effect. It may take a bit longer to umold ungelled soap but otherwise should be fine. You may also find that unground oats are a bit scratchy. I generally grind them really fine (almost powder). Be sure to post pictures cut.

Here is the unmolding! It looks like it did gel to some extent, as it has the "ring". The scent has turned a bit chemically to me; my husband thinks I'm imagining it, but I'm not happy with it right now. We'll see if it dissipates some as it cures. The other loaf in the picture is another batch I did last night while doing the milk batch. It's a Barbershop scent and smells so yummy! I hope it holds!

I welcome any feedback so that I can improve in the future!

thumb.jpg

MNH loaf.jpg

MNH2.jpg

12_2_2.jpg

You just got partial gel. Nothing to worry about. It will fade sone during cure. Just cosmetic. That's why. Gel all my soaps. Just insulate them and watch for overheating. As long as they don't zap all is good. Very nice!

Back