First Step

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Skatergirl46. My DH seems to be comely along nicely now too. He even went with me to the local homeless shelter to donate the umpteen (Costco) bars of Dove that have been sitting in the closet for the last two years. And never once during that time did he ever try to sneak one out for his man-cave bathroom. I think in part he's just happy I'll no longer be scrutinizing his mail order shipments of homebrew supplies! Got my own packages to worry about!

Welcome! I certainly have enjoyed this post, and the comments you have made on my "I have elk and deer tallow!" post. I enjoy what hearing life is like up in alaska. One day we will come visit that beautiful state, my husband wants to hunt there. The only problem is that i will only come in the dead of your summer, this chica doesnt do cold very well! ha ha. But i may be able to tough it out. Welcome!

I'm with you Mountain Soaps, it's best to stick with summer. That way the hat and gloves actually do some good. Winter is a great time for soaping and sled dogs (both of which I love). As for hunting, it is a whole different beast here; not much road access so usually involves very expensive plane or boat rides. But the wilderness is phenomenal, so I hope you'll consider accompanying him. My DH was hunting elk in MT this week (but still no tallow for me). He commented how nice it was to be able to get in the truck to change camp locations and hiking trails. I hope he's not too hung up on that; I have a lot of batches to make before summer solstice arrives again!

it truly does sound idyllic. And of course i would accompany him, we are frick and frack, two peas in a pod, green beans and carrots, attached at the hip! ok, that's enough, i think you get the idea. We are each others best friends, and he paid me the highest compliment the other day by starting a thread on his hunting forum titled "It is awesome when your wife is your best hunting buddy"- in guy lingo that is the highest praise!
Sled dogs- that is something that my hubby wants to do one day. I have to admit, aside from the cold, i would be all for it too. aaaaahhh, one day :)

Sounds like you two have a great relationship -- kudos! I don't like to hunt as much as Jeff does (truth be told I like to take my vacations in the tropics - lol), but we do have a good time together out there. He has told me a couple times I'm less of pain in @$$ than a lot of men are. Well that's good to know, I really wouldn't have guessed it :-D

As for sled dogs... Another one of my addictions is the Iditarod sled dog race. OMG, it is phenomenal! This is the +1,000 mile, +10 day race from southcentral Alaska to the Bering Sea coast at Nome. Those dogs (and the mushers too) are absolutely amazing; so inspiring! I volunteer for the Iditarod Trail Committee, who oversees the race and handles all of the race logistics (and there MANY). Last year I landed a position along the trail in interior Alaska, about 3 days into the race. I've also been lucky enough to be at the finish line a couple of times. It is a real life changer, even for the spectators. In Feb and March, I won't even be thinking about soap, I'll be taking all of the volunteer slots I can juggle to participate as I can. I don't have sled dogs and I don't want any, but I am absolutely enamored with their strength, perseverance, and attitude! Ok I'll shut up now. It's a good thing this is my thread!

ha ha too funny. That does sound enthralling. So when you say three days in, does that mean you are camping in the snow, or is there housing for you? That sounds like a photography dream (Photography is another hobby). A friend in australia, her sister runs dogs, and i believe she competes in the iditarod, talk about an expensive trip. I could be wrong though- maybe she was just talking about it once. Anyway, when we dont hear from you for a few months,we will know where you are!!!

My checkpoint was nice and cushy (by bush AK standards - which is distinctly different than L48 ), but some are wall tents with wood stoves and outhouses. The photo opps are amazing, great subjects all around. Here is one of mine, I had such a hard time picking I have so many!

dogs red white and blue websmall.jpg

Last edited:
Cara -

That's a great picture! Thanks for sharing it! You could start a Photo topic about this or any other subjects in General Chat...hint, hint. :grin:

Oh I will be hazel! The grass is still green out my window so I am trying to keep all thoughts of winter at bay. But soon the dogs will be howling and hell will break loose! Two addictions at once can seriously debilitate a gal!

I think I'm at post 94... almost a full qualifier for the beer soap swap... a sled dog thread would surely put me over quickly with a few simple replies!

Skatergirl, here's some incentive... Me and my DH a few years ago with our 180 pounder. It was so big they had to shoot it in the head just to bring it on board (but they do get a lot bigger). My husband almost fell in the fish well when they heaved it over -- wish I had a pic of him bracing against the walls of it trying to save himself!

halibut.jpg

Last edited:
Cara -

That's a great picture! Thanks for sharing it! You could start a Photo topic about this or any other subjects in General Chat...hint, hint. :grin:

Blame me hazel I tempted her and got her started!!!! :) and Oh, CaraBou, when we head up there, i am definatley talking to you about things to do!!!!

Latest posts

Back