First Step

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First Step, in Alaska

Hi everyone, my name is Cara and I'm a hobby soaper. Some of my family and friends think I have a problem, but I know they just don't understand me. After all, I have kept my day job and I only mix CP cocktails when I really need more soap, or when someone I know (or they know) really needs (or might need) more soap. It's a nice clean sport; where's the harm, right?

You guys seem like a safe crowd to hang with. I know because I've been silently browsing this site for months now and I have learned a TON from you. I especially like it that you are spread out all over the globe, and no one will really do the math to figure out what time it is in Alaska and whether that is a reasonable time (or duration) for me to be looking up soap tips in the forum. And I promise I won't do that to you, either, even those of you up here in the Greatland ;)

I've never been much of a girly girl, so my fascination with CP suds took me by surprise when I bought my first book & made my first batch two years ago. I had never even bought a bar before that point. But I have a scientist's mind, a bloodhound's nose, and a love for hot showers so it just seemed natural! Plus I was tired of itchy patches here and pimply patches there, and cruising creepy cosmetic aisles for remedies in a trench coat and shades. So I am happy in my functional addiction! And looking forward to being a little more interactive in my constant quest for MORE SOAP.

Last edited:
Welcome CarBou! Like you I have a scientist's mind and love to figure out how things work. My love for soap came about while searching for a cure to end the world's (including mine) aging LOL No trench coat or shades needed here :wave:

Welcome Cara. I like how you think. It is a clean addiction but seeing how I've made over 70 bars in less than a month my husband is looking at Betty ford to have me committed. So be aware

But welcome again!
Faith

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Hi Cara,

Welcome to the addiction and embrace it! Well, at least as long as your family doesn't have you committed. :lol:

I enjoyed your introduction and I empathize with your family not understanding you. I also have this issue but I just ignore them.

Welcome Cara. I like how you think. It is a clean addiction but seeing how I've made over 70 bars in less than a month my husband is looking at Betty ford to have me committed. So be aware

evilnurse Faith,

Lucky for me, my husband's addiction is homebrewing beer. He wouldn't dare talk to Betty. And just to seal that deal, I made his robust porter into something he can enjoy every single morning without getting fired. I'm no dummy!

Hi Cara,

Welcome to the addiction and embrace it! Well, at least as long as your family doesn't have you committed. :lol:

I enjoyed your introduction and I empathize with your family not understanding you. I also have this issue but I just ignore them.

Thanks Hazel. I am still in the phase of thinking I can convert them. I am currently examining a bar to figure out just what planet's atmosphere it looks most like. Then it will go in the mail as a birthday present for my oldest brother, the sci-fi fanatic. Hopefully I won't be too far off!

CaraCara,

Good to meet you. I was wondering who could have possibly taken the username I had originally sought. So, do you identify more with vultures, falcons, or navels?? I prefer feathers myself, though for soaping, orange is quite more appropriate.

It was meeee, muhahahaha...:twisted:
Orange it is! Caracara oranges are a favourite when in season. I didn't even know about the bird until I went searching for photos of the fruit.

Cara, I have news for you. My husband does the same thing-brew beer. I haven't used his beer yet but imagine I will at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Thanks Hazel. I am still in the phase of thinking I can convert them. I am currently examining a bar to figure out just what planet's atmosphere it looks most like. Then it will go in the mail as a birthday present for my oldest brother, the sci-fi fanatic. Hopefully I won't be too far off!

That's a great idea for a gift! I hope he appreciates it. :D

Cara, I have news for you. My husband does the same thing-brew beer. I haven't used his beer yet but imagine I will at some point.

evilnurse, we are so fortunate to have one substance so close in our lives to perform three powerful functions: liquid for our soap, cheer for our spirit, and a distraction for our husbands! I'm sure it won't be long before you have all three going on at once :thumbup:

Cara -

A little off topic but I thought your reply was wonderful and it made me laugh out loud. You should use it for your signature line. For example:

"It's fortunate there isn't a 12 step program for soapmaking because I don't think I could make it another 11 steps. The soap pot is only 6 steps and it's in the wrong direction.

Or something like it. :lol:

Great to see another Alaskan on the forum! I just got a beautiful home brewing setup for my husband for his b-day (from HopBox on etsy) and he is starting his first later today (it's 1:50am, glad no one here is judging ) I look forward to using home brew in my soap! Oh, and as refreshment too

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back