First soaps of the new year! Post yours here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested but I don't know if I'd have the patience. :lol:

You could PM IanT and see if he could put the tutorial on the SMF Tutorials site.

newbie -

I said I'd post the cut pic and here it is. I think the colors would have been really pretty if the soap hadn't seized up (Forbidden Fruit FO). I picked out the bars that had the most color on them.

1000129e.jpg

I think if you slice the chunky tops off it will show the colors off more. It's pretty and pastel! Does it smell really great? IS it your own FO mix?

Those are the most colorful bars. It set up so fast that I ended up with cup shaped lumps of soap that I had to mash into the uncolored portion. It's Forbidden Fruit and I think it smells wonderful. Even my sister commented that something smelled really good when she walked into the house. I tried to post the link directly to the page but it only goes to the home page for NG. http://candlepro.com/

Here's NG's description of the scent.

"A tempting, juicy fragrance arrangement composed of fresh top notes of green apple, red delicious apple, and pineapple; middle notes of tropical peach blossoms, and orchid; all sitting on a fruity, floral musk."

If I hadn't been so ambitious and tried to do a 4 color swirl, I think it would have turned out all right. I'd like to try this FO again and get it into the mold more quickly. Also, I only used .5 oz ppo and it's very strong smelling. This is one FO that you don't need a lot of in the batch. Of course, it might fade in a few months. I set bars back from my batches so it will be interesting to see whether it fades or not.

I'm not worried about the colors. I'm more concerned about how well this recipe will turn out. It's only been curing for a week and I tried a little bit of it. I'm very pleased with it so it's going to be really hard to wait a few more weeks before I can use a bar.

eta: Here's the link to the FO. http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/can ... e-Oil.html

Was it the FO that caused it to go so fast? I assume it was, but sounds worth it for the scent! I'm just trying my first NG scents and so far they've been great. And looks certainly come secondary to a good recipe!

newbie -

I believe it was the FO. The only difference in this batch was I used avocado instead of castor oil. Does avocado accelerate trace?

But everything seemed normal until I added the FO and it went to a thick pudding consistency very quickly. I was mixing the colors in the cups and all the sudden they got really thick. I turned back to the uncolored portion and it looked just like vanilla pudding. I had to glob the soap out of the bowl and it started hardening on the spoon.

Dragonkaz -

I really like this scent but other people may not since everyone has different tastes. I recommend it but I do think it's what caused the soap to get thick so quickly. I'm going to try the same recipe again but use a different FO. I plan on buying this scent again and try it in a smaller batch. If it does seize again, then I'll just have to use it in lotions and bath fizzies.

Or you just use an accelerator for a simple one or MAYBE two color soap. Plumeria from BB really moves soap along so I never plan on anything fancy with that one. I did manage to get a two color soap out of it once, but simple's good and so's the smell!
Thanks for the rec on the FO!

I think I would have been okay if I had kept it simple or even if I had only attempted 2 colors. Also, I think it would have worked if I had taken soap out, colored it, added the FO to the uncolored portion and and then poured all of it into the mold. Well, I learned my lesson so next time I'll be prepared. :D

Latest posts

Back