First soaps of the new year! Post yours here!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://img220.imageshack.us/i/img2455x.jpg/

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/img2457o.jpg/

These are my first soaps of the New Year. On a different thread, someone asked what people's first soaps would be, so I thought I'd post my results. Nothing earth shattering but...

The top one is Fresh Cut Grass on the left and Cool Water on the right. I poured the grass one very thin, very very thin but loved the way the soap moved when I patterned it. I poured it first and then after I did the cool water one, I realized the pattern was sinking- AAAHHHHH it was separating before my eyes! I had to forego the pattern and stirred and stirred in the mold to try to get it to come together. It stayed liquid for a very long time and took FOREVER to harden up- like 2 hours. It gelled but there is still a bit of oil on the top so I'm going to let it sit for some time and see if it takes some of the oils back up. Doesn't zap though- thankfully.

The bottom link was for my very first soap this year which traced so fast it was like lightning and prompted a lot of internal swearing. It was supposed to be another try at the mantra swirl thing (you'd never guess). I got an orange streak down the middle but it was all very lumpy and then like an idiot, I decided to glop on my accent colors of Cancerian Heat (red) and Midnight train (deep metallic blue) in lines but they were total chunks by then. I had a tool that allowed me to mix it in throughout the depth of the bar so I just stirred and folded it in a bunch. It was so ugly!!!! It also tanned. It looked like barf. After unmolding, I cut the chunky tops off and lo and behold, it looks okay, just not at all like I intended (or did I SO mean to do that?). It will darken up some but... That's White Lily and Amber.

So what did you make over the weekend? Post a picture on this thread so we can all see!

I would never have guessed the barf soap would look even remotely decent, so it was a nice surprise. I was starting to feel like I would be jinxed for the year with 2 of 3 soaps having problems.

I hope other people will post pictures of their first (or 2nd or 3rd) soaps on this thread! It would be fun to scroll down and see a bunch of everyone's projects! I don't want it to be only a picture of mine.

My first soap was really plain, no colour, no fragrance, just OO & CO, so its a kinda boring pic lol...but it was made with a friends son in mind as she wanted a very simple soap with nothing added for him ......it was also a lil experiment for me as I didnt know if I could really do this ......am addicted now lol

Oh come on! Post some pictures no matter if you think it's boring or not! A lot of people, including me, love the look of simple soaps. I didn't mean it as any sort of competitive thing- just a thread where we could easily see and appreciate everyone's labors of their love (for soaping only please).

ok since you insisted newbie here is my first eva soap.... :D

1stsoap.jpg

Very plain lol

newbie -

I think your soaps look great! I still can't get a decent swirl and I'm about ready to give up on it. I had already posted pics of my sad looking batches on the First Soap for 2011 thread before I saw your post.

Traceyann -

I like your soaps.

I saw yours, Hazel, and was going to ask you to post it over here, too, but it seemed a little bossy. Okay, stick it in over here too! Yours look good! but believe me, I know the frustration of not getting it just as you like it.

See, I like them all- even the "boring" pure and pristine white :)

I hope more people put theirs on!!!!!! It's so fun to see what other people make.

newbie -

I know you're saying they look good just out of pity and kindness. Sniff sniff whimper...but I'll accept the compliment. :lol:

I was just disappointed that the Sugar Cookie Brulee turned so dark. I was hoping it would at least stay a light tan but noooo. I'll post the Forbidden Fruit loaf pic here when I get it cut, okay?

Mmm...chocolate mint. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll tell everyone it's chocolate mint even though it smells like cookies. :wink: My sister said it looked like fudge. Oh well, it was an experiment and mainly I wanted to see if there was a difference in the lather since this time I used whipping cream for half of the liquid. Also, now I know the FO discolors to a dark brown.

Holy cow, Tao! you may have to put up a tutorial on that!!

Hazel, I had to go back and look at your soaps again because I didn't remember seeing anything that bad. I'm not one for making nice comments that I don't mean. I agree- they look like rich chocolate cake or fudge and I've made a few unexpected black/brown soaps myself. I didn't like them at first because they didn't do what I wanted, but now I like them- you don't see too many dark soaps. I couldn't get a good perspective on the forbidden fruit soap so you definitely have to post pics! And just to make you feel not so bad, look at these. This is my grass soap after I restirred in the mold, and then at one end stirred while it was gelling, to see what would happen. It's got a nice layer of oil all over the top. Imagine making that!

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/img2462j.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/i/img2461n.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/i/img2464c.jpg/

At least yours look edible!

TaoJonz -

Cute flower soap! I can't imagine how much time it takes for you to do all your soaps. They're so detailed.

newbie -

Wow! Yeah, those do look like misbehaving soaps. :lol: You know how it is...you visualize how you want the soap to look and then it doesn't turn out. Big disappointment. But at least both batches smell really good and I'll be thrilled if I get a rich, creamy lather which is what I mainly wanted to achieve. Now I just have to have patience.

Latest posts

Back