First Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristus_Apollo

Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen! :)

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Ha, I like the way you think. Here you go, a few pics though crappy as they were taken with my cell phone.

Soap after cutting loaf into 1" thick slices then cutting those in half
CutSoap.jpg

A slice after cut in half
LoafCut.jpg

The top of the soap after cutting into 1" square columns
CloseUp.jpg

This was a test batch for personal use and to hand out to friends/family which is why I cut each slice in half.

Welcome, Kristus_Apollo. They look great! After the cure, it looks like you are going to have some really nice soap for a while!

I like some of Anne Watson's recipes, too. She has a lot of recipes. I have usually made a change or two to fit my needs or ingredients on hand, always running it through a lye calculator first, of course. But one soap I make based on one of her recipes is my absolute favorite for hand washing, so I am glad I read her book.

Looks good! What fragrance did you use?
I used "almond pastries" from Peak Candles. I love the smell of almonds.

One thing I forgot to add in my first post especially for anyone starting out like me. There are two essential pieces of equipment that'll make your life much, much easier: a stick blender (~$25 US) and a digital laser IR infrared thermometer temperature gun (got mine from Amazon for $13 US).

Congratulations on what is the first of many I'm sure. Welcome to the addiction! Nice looking soap for sure!

Thanks! It turned out better than I expected. I thought I had distilled water but I didn't so I had to use Brita-filtered water instead. Then during the mixing process the stick blender slightly popped above the mixture a couple times introducing air into the mixer.

After pouring into the mold I bounced it a few times on the work bench to try to get the air out. Guess I got lucky as not one of the cut pieces have any bubbles.

Welcome, Kristus_Apollo! :wave:

Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a soaping addict! Muahahaha- our plan is working!

IrishLass :)

Welcome to soaping and the forum Kristus_Apollo! :wave: That's some very handsome soap you've got there! Good choice on the Peak scent too. You certainly made a nicer looking batch than my first one so, well done you!

I used "almond pastries" from Peak Candles. I love the smell of almonds.

One thing I forgot to add in my first post especially for anyone starting out like me. There are two essential pieces of equipment that'll make your life much, much easier: a stick blender (~$25 US) and a digital laser IR infrared thermometer temperature gun (got mine from Amazon for $13 US).

Wonderful soap!

I agree about the stickblender, but I never check my temperatures any more. Neither do most of us. You get to where you can feel if the temperature is too hot or not. And it really does not matter if the oils and lye are within 10 degrees of one another.

Wonderful soap!

but I never check my temperatures any more. Neither do most of us. You get to where you can feel if the temperature is too hot or not. And it really does not matter if the oils and lye are within 10 degrees of one another.

Not that I'm trying to be disagreeable, but I just wanted to point out that there are times when temps do matter. For example, when it comes to my formulas that contain a higher proportion of hydrogenated PKO, hard fats and butters, I always check the temps. Basically, if the temp of my batter with those formulas goes much below 110F, I end up with pseudo-trace, and then stearic spots in my finished bars..... which I'm never happy with. So, with those formulas, I manipulate the heat of my oils and my lye solution so that my batter never goes below that sweet spot of 110F.

IrishLass :)

It's been about two weeks so I decided to try one of the sticks of soap I cut from my first batch ever. It lathered up very nicely and quickly and left a wonderful soft feeling because of the shea butter. As long as I didn't let it set in a puddle of water it dried right up. Not bad after two weeks :D

One question though. The amazing smell from the almond fragrance is all but gone. I can still smell it on the soap directly but it's weak. After washing there's almost no almond fragrance on my hands.

Is there a better method for allowing an FO or EO to bid better to the soap so that the fragrance lasts through and after curing for a CP soap?

Latest posts

Back