First Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fragrance from soap will not linger long on your skin after rinsing. After all, the fragrance is washing down the drain with the suds. If you want some fragrance left on your skin, think about making a lotion, body butter, or other leave-on product.
Not that I'm trying to be disagreeable, but I just wanted to point out that there are times when temps do matter. For example, when it comes to my formulas that contain a higher proportion of hydrogenated PKO, hard fats and butters, I always check the temps. Basically, if the temp of my batter with those formulas goes much below 110F, I end up with pseudo-trace, and then stearic spots in my finished bars..... which I'm never happy with. So, with those formulas, I manipulate the heat of my oils and my lye solution so that my batter never goes below that sweet spot of 110F.

IrishLass :)

^^This is very true! However, the the belief that you absolutely need for the temperatures to be within 10 degrees of one another is not true. You do, however, need your oils to be warm enough to stay liquid and not get false trace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fragrance from soap will not linger long on your skin after rinsing. After all, the fragrance is washing down the drain with the suds. If you want some fragrance left on your skin, think about making a lotion, body butter, or other leave-on product.

Susie, that totally makes sense but what I'm trying to reproduce is a small commercially manufactured hand soap I found at a bed and breakfast that left a wonderful almond aroma on my hands even after washing off the soap and drying.

You might want to try Intense Almond from Majestic Mountain Sage. It is STRONG! The first time I used it, I just used at my usual rate and it was so overpowering I really couldn't stand it (this was MP - I haven't tried it in CP). It took me forever to use up a 4 oz. bottle.

Nice first soaps, by the way and welcome!

You might want to try Intense Almond from Majestic Mountain Sage. It is STRONG! The first time I used it, I just used at my usual rate and it was so overpowering I really couldn't stand it (this was MP - I haven't tried it in CP). It took me forever to use up a 4 oz. bottle.

Nice first soaps, by the way and welcome!

Thanks! And thanks for the tip on the fragrance, checking it out now.

Back