First soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made my first batch ever of CP soap, which I'm tentatively calling a success. I kept it simple for my first rodeo, using mostly olive oil and some coconut oil (also used coconut milk instead of water). It cured for 4 weeks, which I figured might be pretty short for a soap heavy in OO, but I wanted to try it out to see how my skin felt. I've been using it for 5 days and overall it's pretty great! My hands feel a little tight after showering but the rest of my skin feels good. It's melting away fast but I was expecting that from the short cure time. My plan is to continue trying it as it cures to see how it ages - I still have 8 bars :smile: Here's a pic! Please ignore the un-beautiful edges; it was still slightly squishy when I cut it.

2yyxj7s.jpg

One lesson learned: don't make the soap so dang big, lol! I didn't even consider it when cutting up my slab but I had a hard time holding onto that sucker in the shower. Now I know better. :oops:http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

That's great for a first batch! You have clearly already done so much research that it made that soap a success. Now you are going to be dreaming about the darn soap like the rest of us. Congratulations ....

ETA: I wouldn't worry about the size, the ones that fit my teeny mitts would be way too small for a good sized man. That will all work out in the wash, no pun intended.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! This is such a lovely forum; I can't wait to learn more! And not_ally, I already have pretty big man-hands for a lady, so I think I'll still knock the size down a notch, hehe. My handy husband is making me a custom wood mold this week, so now I know what to tell him! *already addicted*

PS, snappyllama I love your signature quote. I might steal it for my office!

Your soap looks like a twin of my first, and I can still remember the excitement I felt. You can look forward to a long and happy adventure in soapmaking. Enjoy!

Good looking first soap, congrats! :thumbup: Be prepared though, it's amazing how fast this hobby sucks you in...:lol:

Oh yeah, you may as well ask your hubby to build at least half a dozen molds while he's at it...as everyone has said before me..."Welcome to the addiction!!". :wink:

My favorite size bar is a rectangle, 3 1/4 inches long and about 2 1/2 tall (deep?), cut about 1 1/2 inches thick, so that's how I built my molds. Though the molds are deeper than needed, so I have room for playing with the tops without slopping soap batter out of the mold.

Congrats on your first soap.

I'll move this thread to the Photo Gallery, could you please post photos in there form now on of your soaps, saves me having to move them.

Woo hoo! First batch done! Yours looks just like my first cold process soap I made too, looks creamy and beautiful.

I tend to find high olive oil soaps drying to my skin without a very long cure so time will be your friend.

Congratulations!!!

Latest posts

Back