First soap recipe, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Meena, Jan 10, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:05 AM #41

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

I like your lye cooling bath idea, hmmm. But sweetie, your eyeglasses are giving you false confidence. I have reading glasses and they are open all around, yes? I read something yesterday on one of the pro-soap folks' page that said:

" If you don't want to wear goggles, please find another hobby. "

2. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:28 AM #42

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I don’t wear goggles either. I have large frame glasses and feel comfortable wearing them. Making soap for 8 years. Please Don ’t tell someone to find another hobby. I can’t wear goggles. It distorts my vision and makes it harder to see therefore more apt to make a mistake. I don’t always wear gloves either. Usually yes. For beginners it’s highly recommended.

Shari, Alfa_Lazcares and Misschief like this.
  3. Jan 13, 2019 at 1:31 AM #43

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Yes - mine have good coverage too. They have about 2-5mm clearance between frame and face at the bottom, and are practically touching my eyebrows at the top, so it would be highly unlikely that anything could get in there.

4. Jan 13, 2019 at 2:03 AM #44

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I wear glasses, too (not the ones I'm wearing in my profile pic). I've yet to find safety goggles that I feel comfortable with. As shunt said, they distort my vision. You know, every time I read about the "rules" of soap making, I think about our grandmothers and great grandmothers. They didn't have all kinds of safety equipment. What it really comes down to is "respect the lye". Know what it does and work accordingly.

Right now, I don't even have gloves. If I even think I've splashed raw soap on my hands, I'll be running my hands under cold water; I mix my soap right next to my kitchen sink so water is always near at hand.

Shari and Zing like this.
  5. Jan 13, 2019 at 2:47 AM #45

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

The only time I had an issue with raw soap I had gloves on and rubbed my nose. Ended up with a burn as I didn’t know I had soap on that finger. When it’s on my skin it starts to itch first so I was with dawn and water.

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2019 at 7:45 PM #46

Zing

Zing

Zing

You are a bada--, no gloves even?! :) My grandmas have been gone 20 years. I've only been soaping for just over a year and would love to talk to them because I know they made soap. Probably lard and tallow because they used as much of their farm animals as possible. Funny how over decades "homemade" turns into "artisan." I now make my grandma's Scandinavian flatbread for holiday "treats" and for her it was her weekly "chore."

Misschief, Marilyn Norgart and Meena like this.
  7. Jan 14, 2019 at 9:29 PM #47

Chris_S

Chris_S

Chris_S

Just checking you do know and understand the difference now. the 76f and 92f is the melt point of the coconut oil

Meena likes this.
  8. Jan 14, 2019 at 10:04 PM #48

zanzalawi

zanzalawi

zanzalawi

Supporting Member

hi @Meena :)

i second what @Dean and @dixiedragon suggested for recipes guidelines, it really helps to keep it as simple while you're getting the feel for it
    *edit*
    i'm late to this party, i didnt even see this was 3 pages lol. i apologize, i need a nap

Meena likes this.
  9. Jan 14, 2019 at 11:35 PM #49

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

I was quoting something I read, and at any rate, I do stand by it. I'd never work with lye without goggles.

As for vision, the 3M Professional chemical splash goggles are made to fit over other eyeglasses. :) Glad i got these slightly spendy ones because they don't distort. They're beautifully clear, too.

So happy that you've been lucky. May your luck continue, and for all others saying 'i don't wear goggles either'!

Yes, thanks! The 92F is that liquid stuff you see in the health food stores. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM
  10. Jan 15, 2019 at 6:35 PM #50

melinda48

melinda48

melinda48

Supporting Member

Buy a face mask as Harbor Freight, Home Depotor other such store. It fits over your glasses easily as it is work on your head, not worn like glasses. It is critically important that you protect your eyes and skin! If you want an example of how it feels to get a lye burn, put about three gains of lye on you skin and wet it. It will hurt for days. Do not mess around with lye!

11. Jan 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM #51

Zing

Zing

Zing

@melinda48 , you are preaching to the choir. I've always used all protective gear.

12. Jan 16, 2019 at 2:49 AM #52

melinda48

melinda48

melinda48

Supporting Member

Oops. My comment was meant for Meena.

Zing likes this.
  13. Jan 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM #53

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

Another reason to use protective gear especially protective glasses over prescription glasses is that I do not want lye messing up expensive prescription glasses

Edit lie to lye

Deborah Long likes this.