First soap loafs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigglergal

Reaction score
Long time lurker finally decided to make my first batches. I made two bastille loafs with coconut milk. They made nicely but when i cut them they still seemed pretty wet inside. I let them set for a bit cut one 4 days after making cut the other 6 days.. how long due you typically let bastille bars sit before cutting?

Attachments

• 20201128_172218.jpg
    20201128_172218.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 20
Depends on recipe. Lye concentration, super fat setting. Gel vs non gel. To name a few
.... Made this one Tuesday. Cut about 20 hours old. 1.7 to 1 Lye concentration. 3 percent super. My first bastille batch also.
20201204_011741.jpg

How did the cut go?? Pics?? Love your textured tops. I'm not very good at texturing.

Long time lurker finally decided to make my first batches.
Please take some time to introduce yourself to the group. Include your soapmaking experience and anything else of interest you care to share. :) This makes it easier for us to help you. :thumbs:
...how long due you typically let bastille bars sit before cutting?
I liked @Ford 's reponse in post #2.
Depends on recipe.
Ditto. With bastille, it really depends on the recipe. For example, back in the day, when I made CP 100% olive oil castile soaps, I let the batch sit in the mold for a week before unmolding. I'd wait to cut until my finger no longer put a dent in the soap. 😄 With bastille bars, it depends on how much olive is in the recipe and what other oils you used. TIP: It's best to post your recipe with the question.

For ZNSC, whether 100% olive oil or 85% olive, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor, the bars are usually ready to unmold and cut the next day. Here's a link:
Zany's No Slime Castile

Back