First Soap in 2# Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis

Reaction score
I've made a few soaps at this point but they all had in old almond milk cartons or small individual molds. I ordered this cheap log mold from Amazon (I would not recommend it btw) and used it for the first time a week ago. I used coconut milk at 50% of the water (2.2 water:lye ratio) and 28 oz. of oils which included olive, coconut, corn, vegetable shortening, castor and cocoa butter. I don't think I'll do another soap with the corn oil, but I'd just bought some for cooking so I thought I'd throw a little in.

The colors are spirulina (I think - it might have been chlorella), cocoa powder, turmeric and TiO2. I had intentions to add EO of lemongrass, rosemary and orange but saw that sitting on the counter as the soap was poured into the mold - doh. I put covered the soap and refrigerated it for 24 hours then set it on the counter for another 24. It was still really gooey after 48 hours so I uncovered it and let it sit another 2 days. It was still somewhat soft in the middle but better - barely cuttable. I've not had a soap be this soft for this long before, I'm not sure if it was the mold, oils, coconut milk, refrigeration or something else. I'm going to use the mold again in the next few days with a recipe I've used before so I'll reduce the variables - maybe it's the mold.

I was mostly happy with the results. The downside is the smell since I forgot to add the EO. It smells a lot like cocoa butter. I premixed all of the colorants in oil except for the TiO2. That didn't get mixed well and there are some white streaks. I could have stick blended it in better but I wanted to avoid the batter getting too thick. I'll be premixing everything from now on - lesson learned. Outside of these two things everything went according to plan.

My next soap is going to be a Christmas soap. I'm going to do a circles pattern using squeeze bottles. I'm also going to create a step by step checklist so I don't end up forgetting something. At some point I'll be on the hunt for another 2# loaf mold as I'm not happy with the cheap one from Amazon. Probably one from Brambleberry - I like the idea of silicone inside a wooden box, I'm not keen on folding freezer paper. I can barely fold a sheet of paper in half evenly. Freezer paper might be more than I can handle.

Attachments

• Soap.JPG
    Soap.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 76
That's beautiful! When you are looking at new molds, check Nurture Soap. Mine has had all kinds of abuse for nearly 5 years and is going strong. I love it. I failed at freezer paper lining, so silicone liners are - for me - the best choice.

I've made a few soaps at this point but they all had in old almond milk cartons or small individual molds. I ordered this cheap log mold from Amazon (I would not recommend it btw) and used it for the first time a week ago. I used coconut milk at 50% of the water (2.2 water:lye ratio) and 28 oz. of oils which included olive, coconut, corn, vegetable shortening, castor and cocoa butter. I don't think I'll do another soap with the corn oil, but I'd just bought some for cooking so I thought I'd throw a little in.

The colors are spirulina (I think - it might have been chlorella), cocoa powder, turmeric and TiO2. I had intentions to add EO of lemongrass, rosemary and orange but saw that sitting on the counter as the soap was poured into the mold - doh. I put covered the soap and refrigerated it for 24 hours then set it on the counter for another 24. It was still really gooey after 48 hours so I uncovered it and let it sit another 2 days. It was still somewhat soft in the middle but better - barely cuttable. I've not had a soap be this soft for this long before, I'm not sure if it was the mold, oils, coconut milk, refrigeration or something else. I'm going to use the mold again in the next few days with a recipe I've used before so I'll reduce the variables - maybe it's the mold.

I was mostly happy with the results. The downside is the smell since I forgot to add the EO. It smells a lot like cocoa butter. I premixed all of the colorants in oil except for the TiO2. That didn't get mixed well and there are some white streaks. I could have stick blended it in better but I wanted to avoid the batter getting too thick. I'll be premixing everything from now on - lesson learned. Outside of these two things everything went according to plan.

My next soap is going to be a Christmas soap. I'm going to do a circles pattern using squeeze bottles. I'm also going to create a step by step checklist so I don't end up forgetting something. At some point I'll be on the hunt for another 2# loaf mold as I'm not happy with the cheap one from Amazon. Probably one from Brambleberry - I like the idea of silicone inside a wooden box, I'm not keen on folding freezer paper. I can barely fold a sheet of paper in half evenly. Freezer paper might be more than I can handle.

You soap looks nice and there is nothing wrong with the smell of cocoa butter. I've started using a checklist too.

I keep a small bottle of TD dispersed in distilled water on hand (1 tea TD to 1 tab water)l just make sure to shake it real well before using. You can also purchase those little metal balls used in nail polish and drop them in your TD bottle to make it easier to shake.

Next time, add 1 tea Sodium Lactate PPO (per pound of oil) to your cooled lye solution; it does help to harden your soap.

With the cooler temps, I noticed that my regular soap wasn't gelling and needed an extra day before removing from the mold. And my GMS which I was refrigerating, was taking two to three days to unmold and same before I could cut it. I first started my not refrigerating my GMS and that helped. Someone suggested a 'water discount'...so I went from a 30% Lye Concentration to 35%, but I'm not hearing that less water means less gelling. I am also using the 'oven process' on my regular soap and that seems to be working...though I do have to put a Post-It on the oven dial so no one tries to "pre-heat" the oven. LOL

I am still fairly new at soaping but i think i have read that silicone molds could make the soap take longer to harden and let me tell you, I FREAKIN BELIEVE IT! all my loafs are like cream cheese in the middle when i demold and i am ok with that!

@dibbles , thanks for the suggestion on the Nurture Soap mold. I picked one up, the price was very reasonable - and free shipping! I unmolded my first batch with it tonight and it was great.

Really nice soap, Curtis. Congrats!
I put covered the soap and refrigerated it for 24 hours then set it on the counter for another 24. It was still really gooey after 48 hours so I uncovered it and let it sit another 2 days. It was still somewhat soft in the middle but better - barely cuttable.
YIKES! :eek: The only soap I've ever made that went that long in the mold was an early rendition of 100% olive oil castile. That sounds like you could use some help with your recipe. There is a forum for that:
RECIPE FEEDBACK
Just post your recipe and the problems you're having and let some of the soapy gurus give input. ;)

Latest posts

Back