First soap batch ???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scamper

Reaction score
My first batch of soap has me confused. I'm not sure I had trace or just that the lard reached it's setting temp (85). Also, the ph is 14 after 24 hours. Is this correct or everything going wrong?

Your soap will get better with age and needs more time to cure. Let it sit out to cure for about a 4 weeks. Soap becomes milder and improves with age. Even though your soap may look done, it isn't.

You have a Ph paper I assume. That is good. Did you try the tongue test? Place a bar on the tip of your tongue and if there is a "tingling" sensation, like touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue, it is perhaps a bit lye heavy. 14 is kinda high for even a fresh cut bar. Mine run about 10.5 to 11. Like CP stated, soap is like a fine wine or cheese, it gets better with age. A 6 month to 8 month old soap is in it's prime, in my experience. 8)

Paul.... :) :wink:

That is good. Did you try the tongue test? Place a bar on the tip of your tongue and if there is a "tingling" sensation, like touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue, it is perhaps a bit lye heavy. 14 is kinda high for even a fresh cut bar. Mine run about 10.5 to 11. Like CP stated, soap is like a fine wine or cheese, it gets better with age. A 6 month to 8 month old soap is in it's prime, in my experience

ahahahaha you are joking right? My brother tried that battery thing on me before, NOT FALLIN FOR IT AGAIN!!!! NOT LICKIN SOAP EITHER!!!!

Latest posts

Back