First Show

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations !!! good job. the only question I have is what kind of soaps are you thinking to sell ? therapy soap or shampoo bar etc.

thanks

AA

I'm not sure if you are asking me??? I'm not as skilled or talented at the beautiful soaps as the people here. I typically make simple, natural, as close to nature as possible soap using additives from my farm; honey from my hives, dandelions, mulberries, etc. I'm using a basic recipe for a gentle skin conditioning soap; OO or some lard/crisco for the whiter soaps, Coconut Oil, Coco Butter -- as simple as possible with a few EO choices and a few unscented. I think I've narrowed the huge number of EO choices to a few of the more popular; citrus, lavender, etc. If there is a long list of ingredients I would like that list to include botanical ingredients and no chemicals or colorants. I did make some salt soap yesterday but I don't think I will sell any. It appears to be very drying -- harsh. Maybe I'll make some sugar scrubs or put seeds into a few. Something that exfoliates the skin but doesn't dry the skin. I'll start with a few and maybe add some if there is interest. I was looking at bath bombs and considering those. As you can tell, very plain Jane :)http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
I did make some salt soap yesterday but I don't think I will sell any. It appears to be very drying -- harsh. http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I just wanted to add my experience with salt. I researched the heck out of salt and people love love them.

I made a batch and with a 4 week cure it is still gives me a "too squeeky clean" feeling. Then I read something (again, because I probably just forgot) about the 4 month rule on salt. Everyone will tell you salt is harsh till it hits 4 months and then the bar is amazing. I promptly went back into the shower, took the bar, took it to the highest shelf where I cure and left it. I put in a reminder to try the salt bar again in my phone calendar--IN NOV.

I just wanted to add my experience with salt. I researched the heck out of salt and people love love them.

I made a batch and with a 4 week cure it is still gives me a "too squeeky clean" feeling. Then I read something (again, because I probably just forgot) about the 4 month rule on salt. Everyone will tell you salt is harsh till it hits 4 months and then the bar is amazing. I promptly went back into the shower, took the bar, took it to the highest shelf where I cure and left it. I put in a reminder to try the salt bar again in my phone calendar--IN NOV.

That's what I've been reading. I didn't decide to sell soap at the fall Church craft fair until a week or so ago so the salt soap won't be ready :( Thanks for telling me though. I need all the help I can get. Maybe I'll like it so much I'll make tons of it.

How do you explain it to them? Each time someone asks how I make mu soap, I feel like a smart butt when I tell them that you just have to mix the oils with the lye. But then again, I have a tendency to be perceived as being a smart butt even when I'm not trying to be so maybe that's part of it..
I started out explaining the concept at first. Then I realized that I was giving out TMI; I was losing them. So now, I just say; "its a lot like cooking". That keeps it down and its easy for people to understand.

In NOV let us know!

Back