First Show

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ourwolfden

Reaction score
Okay so I have been making soap for almost two years and I have decided to dip my foot in the water to start selling. I joined the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild started a Facebook page for my soaps (I’d share, but I think that violates some rules somewhere…). I also want to start making you tube videos but I can’t figure out how to edit them so that is still a work in progress.

I was going to set a table up in front of my house for a sort of “garage sale” thing before Mother’s Day but I got a better offer. My hometown (about an hour away from where I live now) has an artisan fair every spring on the courthouse lawn. I didn’t join the artisan fair because I did have enough product build up to do a 3 day high traffic show… and let’s face it for my first show I didn’t want to pay the high booth fees.

My mom works in a shop downtown which is about two blocks away and all the downtown businesses have specials, food/drink, and events happening. My mom’s boss has approached me with the offer to set up a table in front of her business on the side walk to sell my soap.

I have taken her up on the offer and will be setting up for 1 day with CP soap, wax melts, body spray, odor eliminating room and linen spray, bath tea, and bath bombs.

I am super excited!

I am not new to selling stuff like this, while I was growing up my mom and papaw both did mall shows but selling bath and body product is a new experience. Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated.

And if you all are interested I will post pictures of both my product as I put the finishing touches on and of my booth.

Congratulations. It's nice when things just happen.

I recommend that you have lots of product. Make your tables look full but not too busy. Have some differing heights on your table as well as a nice covering all the way to the floor/ground.

A nice sign/banner is great as well as having your prices clearly posted.

Have plenty of water and paper towels. I also have a container of coffee grounds or beans to clear the sniffer of customers. Otherwise, just have fun.

Thank you everyone!!!! I will share pictures as I get the finishing touch put on my packaging and once I get the table set up.

Smile, greet everyone and let your excitement show. Folks want to know you are enthusiastic about your products and they will react the same way. Good luck!

Your first craft fair is an incredible learning experience, bring pen and paper and take notes as you go along of things to remember for the next one. Best of luck to you!

Congrats! One thing I was surprised about in my first few events was that some customers are actually really interested in how everything is made. It's kind of a treat for me to get to "geek out" about my craft, so don't be surprised if potential customers want details on how things are made and the ingredients that you use. Also, you'll probably hear more about other peoples' skin than you ever wanted to know! LOL

Have a great time, and post pics! :)

Congrats! One thing I was surprised about in my first few events was that some customers are actually really interested in how everything is made. It's kind of a treat for me to get to "geek out" about my craft, so don't be surprised if potential customers want details on how things are made and the ingredients that you use. Also, you'll probably hear more about other peoples' skin than you ever wanted to know! LOL

Have a great time, and post pics! :)

How do you explain it to them? Each time someone asks how I make mu soap, I feel like a smart butt when I tell them that you just have to mix the oils with the lye. But then again, I have a tendency to be perceived as being a smart butt even when I'm not trying to be so maybe that's part of it..

It is getting close. All my soap is wrapped, I still have to label a few. I made some bath teas last night, rooms sprays the night before, have more teas and sugar/salt scrubs to make tonight, body sprays to make tomorrow and maybe a few more bath fizzies. All of this on top of have a 45+hour a week normal job. Busy Busy Busy. My hubby thinks I’m crazy J

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I will be sure to take pictures during and post them this weekend. I am starting to get worried because there is supposed to be thunderstorms on Saturday but I’m hopeful it will stay clear until later in the evening.

The show was good, not great but good. It was supposed to go from 10-4 but we had to call it quits at 1:30... we were rained out! But oh well... made some good sells got some good ideas and had a great time. Also heard that we were invited to join the juried farmer's market that starts May 23rd.

And as promised here are the pictures:
may9th.jpg

Your products look great! I'm sure you learned a lot from your first show that you will use in the future. And after that first one, it's not nearly so scary the next time. Good for you!

Beautiful presentation! Congrats! I'm nine months in and I just hope I can make some progress over the next year and a half to get even close to that level. Love your stuff!

I'm searching through posts with booths trying to get ideas for our Church craft fair. Your booth is beautiful. I noticed your pics say "Effingham" and I wondered if you are in IL. I don't live far from Effingham, about 45 min, closer to Springfield.

I'm searching through posts with booths trying to get ideas for our Church craft fair. Your booth is beautiful. I noticed your pics say "Effingham" and I wondered if you are in IL. I don't live far from Effingham, about 45 min, closer to Springfield.

Yep that is Effingham IL. I don’t live there but the grew up near the area. I actually live about 40 minutes away as well. Closer to kind of in between Effingham and Decatur.

Congratulations !!! good job. the only question I have is what kind of soaps are you thinking to sell ? therapy soap or shampoo bar etc.

thanks

AA

Back