First Show

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ourwolfden

Reaction score
Just pretty soap that smells good and looks nice. I am making no claims at all.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
Congratulations !!! good job. the only question I have is what kind of soaps are you thinking to sell ? therapy soap or shampoo bar etc.

thanks

AA
I'm not sure if you are asking me??? I'm not as skilled or talented at the beautiful soaps as the people here. I typically make simple, natural, as close to nature as possible soap using additives from my farm; honey from my hives, dandelions, mulberries, etc. I'm using a basic recipe for a gentle skin conditioning soap; OO or some lard/crisco for the whiter soaps, Coconut Oil, Coco Butter -- as simple as possible with a few EO choices and a few unscented. I think I've narrowed the huge number of EO choices to a few of the more popular; citrus, lavender, etc. If there is a long list of ingredients I would like that list to include botanical ingredients and no chemicals or colorants. I did make some salt soap yesterday but I don't think I will sell any. It appears to be very drying -- harsh. Maybe I'll make some sugar scrubs or put seeds into a few. Something that exfoliates the skin but doesn't dry the skin. I'll start with a few and maybe add some if there is interest. I was looking at bath bombs and considering those. As you can tell, very plain Jane :)http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

aprice522

Reaction score
I did make some salt soap yesterday but I don't think I will sell any. It appears to be very drying -- harsh. http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/
I just wanted to add my experience with salt. I researched the heck out of salt and people love love them.

I made a batch and with a 4 week cure it is still gives me a "too squeeky clean" feeling. Then I read something (again, because I probably just forgot) about the 4 month rule on salt. Everyone will tell you salt is harsh till it hits 4 months and then the bar is amazing. I promptly went back into the shower, took the bar, took it to the highest shelf where I cure and left it. I put in a reminder to try the salt bar again in my phone calendar--IN NOV.

tbeck3579

Reaction score
I just wanted to add my experience with salt. I researched the heck out of salt and people love love them.

I made a batch and with a 4 week cure it is still gives me a "too squeeky clean" feeling. Then I read something (again, because I probably just forgot) about the 4 month rule on salt. Everyone will tell you salt is harsh till it hits 4 months and then the bar is amazing. I promptly went back into the shower, took the bar, took it to the highest shelf where I cure and left it. I put in a reminder to try the salt bar again in my phone calendar--IN NOV.
That's what I've been reading. I didn't decide to sell soap at the fall Church craft fair until a week or so ago so the salt soap won't be ready :( Thanks for telling me though. I need all the help I can get. Maybe I'll like it so much I'll make tons of it.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you explain it to them? Each time someone asks how I make mu soap, I feel like a smart butt when I tell them that you just have to mix the oils with the lye. But then again, I have a tendency to be perceived as being a smart butt even when I'm not trying to be so maybe that's part of it..
I started out explaining the concept at first. Then I realized that I was giving out TMI; I was losing them. So now, I just say; "its a lot like cooking". That keeps it down and its easy for people to understand.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In NOV let us know!

Latest posts