First Seized Soap...????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judiraz

Reaction score
First time this has ever happened to me. I'd like to post my recipe and get some feedback or any ideas.

Lard 34%
OO 25%
CO 18%
Palm 12%
Rice Bran Oil 8%
Castor 3%

32% Lye Concentration, Soaped @ <100. Liquid was 1/2 H2O w/ lye and 1/2 Goat Milk in my oils. ( Do this in most of my soaps) FO was Nurture's Cranberry Fig at 1.5 oz for 2# of oils.

As I post this I realize I do have a lot of hard oils, but I've used a similar recipe many times. I have found rice bran can cause a recipe to move faster, but I'm only @ 8%. I did stick blend the FO in on low for about 5 seconds when BAM!! solid in the pot.

seized.jpg

Yikes! Your recipe and liquid amount look fine to me. I'm not familiar with Nurture's FO's, but I suspect that the FO is your culprit instead of your recipe.

IrishLass :)

It seems according to the reviews that people have problems w/ this FO even though nurture says they had no acceleration. I'm learning that often times, companies will soap w/ super well behaved perfect slow trace recipes at like 80 degrees so that they can post for as many FOs as possible that they are well behaved. Even known ricers and acceleraters will look ok at low enough temperatures and slow trace recipes.

You all are probably right. I haven't used this FO before but relied on the description that said it behaved. I must say, This was a big surprise! I've read about batches that seized but never realized hoe FAST this could happen! Literally seconds!

I guess I'll try this design idea tomorrow with a different FO. Any info on WSP White Christmas? Not login' the smell OOB but this is a Holiday soap.

Latest posts

Back