First Salt Soap - Not loving!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt bars are just really a hit or miss kind of thing.
They're nice and smooth, rock hard, give a dense, silky lather and are cheap to make.
100% coconut is just fine, but I like them with a bit of castor too.

I don't "love" them, but I do agree that they are best judged when at least 3 months old. Waiting until six months is even better. The lather dramatically changes when it's well aged to a foamy, shaving cream type lather.

Here are some lime EO and patch EO salt bars I made a while back. Nothing exciting to look at :) but they smell soooooo good. They're mostly lime, but I added the patchouli to hopefully help anchor the lime. So far, so good. At the very top of the pic you can see some charcoal salt bars too. They're sented with orange EO. As I said before, I use 100% coconut oil. My first couple of batches I used 90% coconut and 10% castor, but I think the 100% coconut bars lather so much better. I SF at 20% and most of the time I use 50% salt (50% of the weight of the oils). Somtimes I use 60%. The lime bars have 100% coconut milk for the liquid, the charcoal bars have half water/half buttermilk. I've also used beer for 100% of the liquid.

Those look reeeeally lovely Chicklet!

Since you've experiented with both a bit of castor and without,
I may try the without first since I like the idea of the best lather I can get.

3 months cure, wow this is a long process to create the perfect salt bar!!! Good things come to those who wait huh?!

Back to the experimentation pot! :)

The experimenting is the fun part. :) I forgot to add that I use a mix of coarse sea salt and fine table salt. I get both at Dollar General. I did make one batch of white salt bars with pink Himalayan salt. Very pretty, but expensive. I've also experimented with 70% salt and one batch of 100% salt before settling on 50 to 60%. Salt is very healing, but it will definitely sting if you use the salt bars on cuts or scrapes. Good luck with your experimenting. :)

I tried them again and am very pleased this time with the outcome. I ended up making them Hot Process and I did 100% CO w/ 20% superfat (Shea, Castor & Olive) at trace. Big difference.

For those who have tried soap bars in a humid climate, do they attract moisture out of the air? With the recent salt related threads, I'd love to try it but am cautious of making a wet mess. Thanks :)

I have to agree, I don't like them either and I don't understand why people love them. I have customers that love them with the special request for Eucalyptus for that spa feeling???

Yes Epson and dead sea will hold together in a bar but they will sweat severly and never feel great and 0 lather. I am a salt bar fanatic. I just sold 10 bars at market tonight scented with Salty Sea Air. They are fantastic salt bars and lather beautiful. You can always decrease the amount of salt and see if you like them better. This makes a really nice salt bar. Coconut oil 75%, Sunflower 10%, Shea Butter 7%, Castor Oil 8%. I use 90% salt but you could use as little as 10% and still have a nice mild salt bar. Good Luck they really are great, and I use them within a month. When using 90% salt I cut my bars in approx 45 minutes and soap at room temp

I am a salt bar fanatic. I use 90% salt but you could use as little as 10% and still have a nice mild salt bar. Good Luck they really are great, and I use them within a month. When using 90% salt I cut my bars in approx 45 minutes and soap at room temp

cmzaha - I still don't like mine at all partially due to the fact that they have no density and feel so light in my hand. Are yours that way? Feels almost like I'm holding a lava rock that is so light weight!!! I really want to love them too!!

I would have no idea, LadyM why your are light. My salt bars are very dense and heavier than my regular soaps. Not sure how you could have made them feel so light other than whipping air into your soap. Such as making floating soapies

Try 90% CO and 10% castor at 20% SF and salt at 50-75% of oil weight.

I'm not a fan either but my husband loves them. I can tolerate them after a 6 month cure. Otherwise too drying for me.

Latest posts

Back