First rebatch attempt.. need advise please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandiceW

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I tried my first shea butter rebatch..
I think I might be off a bit, def not as pretty as your all's.

I heated for 1 hour.. kneaded, heated again for another 20 mins kneaded again then added fo & color and poured in to mold(2lb wood block mold). I'm thinking it was not heated long enough, OR i needed to add a few tb spoon's water to make smoother eh?
It was VERY thick to say the least and hard to work work with.
What do you think?
This was my first try, I am wanting to do for Christmas presents that is why I am wanting to learn to do this.
Also the fragrance that the shea rebatch is so strong. I LOVE the feel, leaves skin SUPER soft.. but the FO I added can't even be smelled.
Would goats milk rebatch has less fragrance to start with? What about any of the others on this page? ( http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/st ... ath=68,132 )
Also how much inches do you cut per bar? I just cut whatever for my test batch, but would love to know what is more proper size :)

Here is a pic..

8919_270055570430_650170430_8867502_69241_n.jpg

Thanks!

That is really pretty , I love the colors . I make my bars 3x2.25x1.25 . It is really a personal preference , some people love large chunky bars , others smaller bars .Goats milk will make a very nice soap , it really should not have much of a scent , just a mild soap smell .

HTH

Kitn

Thanks!
So do you think it need a little water though?
Also what about the scent, why did it not get anything from the one I used and was already soo strong.
When you says goats is more mild, does the mean it will take on FO better? Also does that leave skin as smooth feeling as the shea butter?

Thanks!

Shea butter has a scent of it's own some people like it , some don't.

What kind of FO did you use and how much did you use ?

GM soap is very soothing to your skin . I don't know what the premade rebatch would smell like but when I make my own unscented it has a gm scent for a bit that mellows out with time.
I have never bought rebatch soap so I do not know how they tell you to rebatch it .You could try adding another TBSP of water , you don't want to add to much though.

Kitn

thanks so much!
I did give a bar to a friend that makes soap and she said it smelled like the FO to her.
i used Ocean Breeze.. it's was a pretty mild scent so I assume it was hard for me to smell since the soap smell is all new to me.
I did talk to the shop and they suggested I let the soap air out a little before heating, said that they package right away so it does not dry out so that might be why it is so strong, makes sense so that is what I will do next time.
And like you he suggested a litte more FO next time and a few Tablespoon water, but like you said not to much.

Thanks so much and can't wait to make my next batch.
Next one will be Candy Cane.

Hi Candice, scents are really strange, they dont always work the way you think they should especially in CP, if you want to have a look at how scents perform and what might work for the way you want to soap check out http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/?sid= ... 189b702326
its really good. Im from UK and we dont have as many suppliers as the US but you should find the info you need there. Bear in mind HP is different from CP - good luck!

thanks so much!
Will check out now..
So is rebatch cold or hot process?

Back