First post! Fresh Green Apple & Orange and Lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sofiepie

Reaction score
Hey guys! I’ve been soaping for little over a month now and I just unmolded my first batch I’m really proud of. Can’t wait to show you!

I’ve been experimenting with some stuff in my kitchen and can’t say anything besides.. I’M HOOKED oh my I’ve been watching soaping video’s and insta’s all day, and making my own soap at night. Send help, I might be addicted.

Making these bars went way different than I had imagined but I am so pleased about the results! I wanted to do an ‘in the pot swirl’ but adding the fragrance oil made the mixture behave super bad. It got super thick. I know, I should’ve known better.
Also I got some small glycrin rivers in my Apple bar. Next time i will superfat it just a little to make it perfect!
And..my orange coloring in the Orange and Lavender bar turned pink? U can still kinda see different tones and its still a nice color, but I do

BUT. In the end I think I like the final result even better than the design I made. So here they are!

What do you think? Any advice?

Attachments

• 79A73234-48EE-4EB4-BE32-16C1223921A3.jpeg
    79A73234-48EE-4EB4-BE32-16C1223921A3.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 7602AFC7-8718-4A46-9F4A-92C2F0A799F6.jpeg
    7602AFC7-8718-4A46-9F4A-92C2F0A799F6.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 9B105667-B287-413A-9F24-669B2D2D1A1B.jpeg
    9B105667-B287-413A-9F24-669B2D2D1A1B.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 179B4EA2-BCA6-4E2B-A11E-B2F907986775.jpeg
    179B4EA2-BCA6-4E2B-A11E-B2F907986775.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 46
Thank you! Already busy planning my next batch lol. Probably gonna be strawberries and cream yummy! A few days back I made a sillicone mold from some strawberries and yesterday I got my piping set in so I’ve been practicing that a little. Needs a lot more practice tho haha!

Attachments

• 465BFD9D-133E-4404-833E-0759B02EA409.jpeg
    465BFD9D-133E-4404-833E-0759B02EA409.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Well aren't you an over-achieving newbie -- making your own mold and piping? My first soaps were mono-color, non-swirled jobs. Great work. And you are asking the exact wrong group of people to send help -- that's a post for Spouses of Soapmakers Forum.

I hereby nominate @Zany_in_CO for "Best Use of Emojis" Award for 2020.
Haa thats so nice of you! I think i didnt mention it but.. I’ve studied fine arts for 6 years and in the meantime I always worked at a bakery. So mold making isnt new to me, and neither are alot of layering techniques. Piping is new tho! So Im cheating just a little ;-)

@KiwiMoose That's what i was going to say but you beat me to it! 😁
@Sofiepie Impressive! Congratulations on making your first soaps!
I'm doin' the Happy Soapers Dance for you! View attachment 52132
I love it thank you 😍😍

Haa thats so nice of you! I think i didnt mention it but.. I’ve studied fine arts for 6 years and in the meantime I always worked at a bakery. So mold making isnt new to me, and neither are alot of layering techniques. Piping is new tho! So Im cheating just a little ;-)
Funny, I have been watching a lot of artsy stuff and bakery stuff lately to help me with soap designs LOL. I mean, it's technically creating a recipe. Don't get me started on the Christmas Cookies on the food network right now LOL. Seriously, I watched like 24 hours of it yesterday. Then I saw the perfect cookie and was YES!!! Soap ombre design!! LOL.

Welcome, and have fun soaping!!

Funny, I have been watching a lot of artsy stuff and bakery stuff lately to help me with soap designs LOL. I mean, it's technically creating a recipe. Don't get me started on the Christmas Cookies on the food network right now LOL. Seriously, I watched like 24 hours of it yesterday. Then I saw the perfect cookie and was YES!!! Soap ombre design!! LOL.

Welcome, and have fun soaping!!
When I opened up an Instagram account to watch soap pages alot of food and bakery related stuff popped up in my feed! Artisan soap and baking can be so much alike.. ive seen someone make some amazing macaron soaps on this forum aswel, they looked ready to be eaten! 🤤

I always worked at a bakery. So mold making isnt new to me, and neither are alot of layering techniques. Piping is new tho! So Im cheating just a little ;-)
I can't frost a cake to save my life and wish I had some skills especially when I work with heavy trace. And I will stay far away from piping....

I have wanted to make my own molds for a long time! I've never taken the time to research it and give it a go. Maybe after the holidays I'll try :)

I have wanted to make my own molds for a long time! I've never taken the time to research it and give it a go. Maybe after the holidays I'll try :)
You should, it is way easier than it sounds. Sillicone is actually a really nice material to work with. If you are looking for a cheaper material/more natural you can also give liquid latex or latex paste a try. It doesn’t work well if you need a big slab, but its nice to use if you just need to ‘dip’ something to give it a coating(more flexible molds)

if anyone is interested in my work as a fine artist, you can check out my insta /finesofievangils it has some latex works of me featured using mold making techniques :)

Back