first pine tar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peeps, introducing my first pine tar soap -- ta da! I used it at 15% and modified my basic recipe. I like the scent and used lavender and cedarwood essential oils. Mrs. Zing who likes to say "90% is presentation" demanded some bling and is responsible for the red glitter on top.
20220411_183751.jpg20220411_184551.jpg
As soon as I cut it, tho', I laughed because it's a dead ringer for this Norwegian's favorite cheese -- gjetost! Except for the red glitter part.
cheese_gjetost.jpg

Mine came out much darker than yours. I like yours better. I don't love brown soap unfortunately. Update us on "in shower performance"

Except for the bling on top, that is almost a dead ringer for my neem oil soap. Love the nice light color, as well. Do you mind sharing which brand of pine tar you used? I understand that some are lighter than others.

I used Bickmore @ 20% and it is super black. I wonder what caused it to be so much lighter. Did you add TD to your batch? I love the color though. Especially the bling. How does it smell? Curious about the pine/lavender/cedar smell. I'm not a fan of pine scent personally, but that combo smells interesting enough to try it again with that blend.

I used Bickmore @ 20% and it is super black. I wonder what caused it to be so much lighter. Did you add TD to your batch? I love the color though. Especially the bling. How does it smell? Curious about the pine/lavender/cedar smell. I'm not a fan of pine scent personally, but that combo smells interesting enough to try it again with that blend.
I used no colorants because I wanted to work as simply as possible. It smells good too and actually the lavender is stronger than I thought it'd be. And call me strange, I like the campfire smell of pine tar! I made a salve without essential oils and I like the scent.

seeking a more simple Pine tar soap Recipe [in ounces], with less kinds/types of oils. i have access to pine tar, olive and coconut oils, don't mind buying one more type of oil, as long as i can get it at the grocery store. prefer vegetable oils for body soaps

seeking a more simple Pine tar soap Recipe [in ounces], with less kinds/types of oils.
Basic Trinity of Oils starter formula. This recipe makes a lovely soap as is. That being said, you can tweak it to your heart's content!

For more information on what to expect:
PINE TAR SOAP - Tips and Techinique

YouTube Video - Easy Pine Tar Soap, Cold Process
Be sure to tick "Show More" to go to the recipe on the right panel.

seeking a more simple Pine tar soap Recipe [in ounces], with less kinds/types of oils. i have access to pine tar, olive and coconut oils, don't mind buying one more type of oil, as long as i can get it at the grocery store. prefer vegetable oils for body soaps
See my response here (similar question, different thread.) I combined my response for this post and that one, because no point in putting it two places, besides this is now a hijacked thread. Not sure how Zing feels about it, but it is his thread about his soap, so I felt it better to respond in the other thread.

besides this is now a hijacked thread. Not sure how Zing feels about it, but it is his thread about his soap,
:thumbs: :thumbs: My apologies to @Zing.
When I first joined SMF in 2017, I was informed, in no uncertain terms, that Hijacks were allowed here... and to "Get over yourself". LOL Now @Admin/Mods, I'm wondering if that policy has changed? If it has, that would be a good thing, IMO.

See my response here (similar question, different thread.) I combined my response for this post and that one, because no point in putting it two places, besides this is now a hijacked thread. Not sure how Zing feels about it, but it is his thread about his soap, so I felt it better to respond in the other thread.
I also responded on another thread, and so did DeeAnna. @pjj if possible, please post your question in just one thread, or start a new one. That's the best way to get all the responses in one place. :)

Back to @Zing's soap, I'd surmise that the reason for the great difference in color between his soap and @Catscankim's soap is the 10% difference in the amount of pine tar. Like neem oil, it doesn't take much at all to darken the soap pretty dramatically.

Thanks, Earlene. Personally, I prefer to start new threads because I get alerts and it makes searching easier if I have to refer back to it at some point. I try not to hijack threads simply because I'll never remember that particular thread if I go off topic! Having said that, I'm not offended or anything if it happens on one of my threads.

guess i don't belong here....
Awww @pjj Of course you do! I answered your question in post #8 with my post #9. @AliOop gave you the best advice in post #13:
@pjj if possible, please post your question in just one thread, or start a new one. That's the best way to get all the responses in one place. :)
There, there. Don't feel hurt. No one here intends that. You're new here and you have a lot to learn -- not only about soapmaking but how to use the Forum to your best advantage. We're here to help any way we can. Just always be aware of the Title and respond to that. If you want to ask a personal question, rather than respond to the topic, please start a new thread. OK? ;)

Ditto to what @Zany_in_CO said! Please stay. My post #14 simply stated what works for me personally. Look, I am not on any social media and I remember when first joining having a bit of a learning curve on this forum (let alone soapcalc -- hoo boy!). I was necroposting and hijacking and did not even know those terms existed!

I love this forum! I get so much expert advice from soap rock stars -- including all those that have replied to you -- and am grateful for their generosity. I also appreciate all the humor. Stay, you'll like it, all the cool kids are doin' it! :)

Back