First Overheating Issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried a new thing today, buttermilk powder. I didn't dilute and use it for the lye solution I added it to the oils SB until mixed in, waited for some hydration and then SBed more. Used an aloe lye solution and all seemed well, until I added the FO. It accelerated like crazy but I got it in the mold and moved it to my back porch (outside) checked it about 20 minutes later and it was gelling and cracked on top.
Will it survive?
Edited to add my oils were at about 85 and my lye about 65 (it is cold in my basement)

In my experience, a FO that seizes usually overheats too.

I recently made a batch that seized and overheated till it started cracking. I put it in the fridge and got it cool enough to prevent craters or a volcano.

Once it was saponified and cool, the crack partially closed. Once cut, the bars just had a tiny little surface crack, not any trouble at all.

As long as your soap doesn't volcano or separate and get oily, it should be fine. If it seems to be getting hotter, try putting it in your freezer for a hour.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can push the crack back together if you get it at the right stage. You can use a gloved finger or the back of a spoon to close it.
You can even fill it with some melt and pour if the crack is deep or you just hate it.

Latest posts

Back