First of 5 day Craft Fair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was C**p. Today was the first day of my 2-weekend craft fair which I have done for several years. Sales were down 60% from Friday last year. Last year Friday paid for my entire 5 days and made money. This is not very encouraging as this is my biggest craft fair for the year. Just the way this year is going for me. :( I am praying tomorrow goes better. I can make more at my little weekly market and only pay 10% than I made today.

I also noticed there were very few quality vendors out of 75-100 vendors.

Were sales down for all vendors? Did there seem to be less people attending?
Are you having really bad weather this weekend?

It sucks that sales were down yesterday, but hopefully they will be back up today.

There was a report on the radio yesterday that predicted stronger sales this holiday season. I wonder if that means a bad season for crafters because people will be buying more high end items. I wonder if GIFT BASKETS may sell better in a market with more money to spend.

Yup, same here on the 'other' coast.
Not as many people coming, most not buying just looking.
Many Vendors that are 're-sellers' or just winging it at the cheap/free shows

hope things pick up for you--that sucks. Is it by where you live or do you need to get lodging too?
Fortunately it only 70 miles so no lodging needed.

Were sales down for all vendors? Did there seem to be less people attending?
Are you having really bad weather this weekend?
GIFT BASKETS
Yes, sales were down for other vendors from what I heard. While the weather was not good this Craft Fair is held is Horse Country USA so the locals are used to sloshing around in bad weather. :rolleyes:

Sales for me were up today, by triple the amount. I always feel sorry for the other soap sellers that do not do well out there. The darn market manager even brought in another soap seller today and placed her directly across from another soap seller. Neither had anyone at their booth. It makes it really hard on them.

My other big problem is this is the first time ever I am at risk of actually not having enough soap to get through the holiday season. With the mess with my mom I got horrifically behind, and today I sold a lot of soap. Will see how tomorrow goes. I forgot to mention that gift baskets have never worked out for me.

Last edited:
Fortunately it only 70 miles so no lodging needed.

Yes, sales were down for other vendors from what I heard. While the weather was not good this Craft Fair is held is Horse Country USA so the locals are used to sloshing around in bad weather. :rolleyes:

Sales for me were up today, by triple the amount. I always feel sorry for the other soap sellers that do not do well out there. The darn market manager even brought in another soap seller today and placed her directly across from another soap seller. Neither had anyone at their booth. It makes it really hard on them.

My other big problem is this is the first time ever I am at risk of actually not having enough soap to get through the holiday season. With the mess with my mom I got horrifically behind, and today I sold a lot of soap. Will see how tomorrow goes. I forgot to mention that gift baskets have never worked out for me.

SO GLAD to hear that today was better!
I could send you a few bars LOL! I've been testing scents all summer long. I've got bars coming out of my ears, and my closets, and my dining room, etc. My bars probably aren't as pretty as yours, but I can guarantee the folks will be able to smell them!
I suggested Gift Baskets because I have a friend who does M&P soaps with essential oils. She does some really pretty Gift Baskets and they sell like crazy. Personally, I am not a Gift Basket type of person.

Good news on the uptick in sales! With the upward trend in online shopping it’s good to hear that people are still taking the time and making the effort to support small businesses and the unique products they offer at markets and fairs. We don’t have many where I live, but I would shop them if we did.

Update, my total 5 days actually turned out $100 less than my goal, so I am satisfied with how it turned out. I sold a lot of soap and lotion to end up just shy of 2k. It did include a crochet hooded cowl and a few hats. I never sell much for crochet at this market. I checked my record and only 4 customers in 5 days purchased only 1 bar of soap.

We had another new seller the second weekend that had Reindeer Poop soap for sale. I have never seen anything so gross for soap in all my selling years. She piped brown soap into a rope and coiled it loosely in a bag. GROSS!!! I had customers tell me about it so I had to check it out. You know me, I am just nosey. :rolleyes: Deer poo is pellets, not rope.

We had another new seller the second weekend that had Reindeer Poop soap for sale. I have never seen anything so gross for soap in all my selling years. She piped brown soap into a rope and coiled it loosely in a bag. GROSS!!!

I saw this at a recent craft fair, too. I don't get it.

Take that as compliment of job well done and you can start your creations from the fresh list! Congrats on great day at the market!

my 2 markets this past weekend were slow for everybody--but I still made more than I thought I would. yesterday they but me next to a bath products person who was selling a businesses items--she was a very nice person but her items were high priced. I figured what the heck and made sure to let people know that I make all my own products--quite a few seemed shocked that I actually made it myself. I signed up for another market today so I have 2 left. the last one is cutting it close :) Dec 22nd

Back