First Needle Felted Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have done wet felting for soaps but this is my first try at needle felting on top of the wet felted soap. For the wet felting I used the felt batter I picked up. The brown wool on the end is the Camel Down

Today I am making large felted dryer balls.

There is plenty of the batting if anyone is still interested, otherwise half will be going to Goodwill. I picked up around 40 lbs. As I stated in the Wool thread it does have some grass still in it, but just specks.

20190407_080146[1].jpg 20190407_080218[1].jpg

Oh, dear! You made a beautifully felted soap and can't even use it because of the wool allergy. I feel sad for you, but happy for whoever is the recipient of your first needle felted soaps. They will be truly blessed.

I have done wet felting for soaps but this is my first try at needle felting on top of the wet felted soap. For the wet felting I used the felt batter I picked up. The brown wool on the end is the Camel Down

Today I am making large felted dryer balls.

There is plenty of the batting if anyone is still interested, otherwise half will be going to Goodwill. I picked up around 40 lbs. As I stated in the Wool thread it does have some grass still in it, but just specks.

View attachment 38189 View attachment 38190
Do you by chance have a guess how many ounces of roving it would take to wet-felt a 3.5oz rectangular bar?

Not Carolyn, but I have made several felted soaps. I would estimate, depending on how thickly you do your felting, that it takes approximately 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce per bar with simple design. As a beginner, I used more than later when I began to realize it doesn't need to be super thick to get a cull coverage.

For comparative purposes, if you have a JoAnn's craft store near you, take a look at a package of roving that JoAnn's sells in the needle felting area of their store. One package weighs about 0.6 ounce (6 tenths of an ounce), yet could easily felt at least 3 or 4 bars of soap with that. As a beginner, I would probably have only managed 2 bars.

Back