First Move is Done!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally, our first move is done. What a pain literally it is to move after 35 yrs in the same house. Now I am looking at the boxes stacked to the ceiling in one room knowing I cannot come close to filling up my new house, the second move, when we finally get it, but they are driving me nuts already in this smaller house and it is only been a few days. The addition of two cats in the house that hate each other does not help.

The monsters kept me up all night last night and the darlings slept and hid all day today. They just got up and appeared so I am sure there will be a repeat tonight. The little one is part Bengal, very vocal and much smaller but she can be a real bit**. The larger cat was an abandoned cat I took in years ago that was 100% outside cat that lived on our deck, now she has to stay inside. This is not fun in a small house. Last night the bigger cat tried to use the litter box while Mandy, the little one, kept hissing at her. Both cats are around 14. It is going to be a long 9-12 months until my house is built. 😭😱😱

Hopefully, we will be ordering our new house next week, if I ever make up my mind which model I am going with. Ali I am thinking the Waverly. LOL, my SIL was at my property today and informed me it is walking away with Morman Crickets. Yeah... The exterminator is going to be my best friend.

If anyone remembers the mess with my sister and mom I am living in the house my mom threw my kids out of and have yet to inform my mom. My sister knows and she has not had the nerve to say a word about my not paying rent. But my husband and I are working on the house while we are living in it. 🤣🤣

Enough of my long story. We are buying one of these Modular Houses. We wanted to build a stick home but we are being told it will be at least three years, so modular it has to be. My hubby has promised I also get a reptile house. Yeah!!

Barrington 40644B by Fleetwood Homes Nampa - ModularHomes.com
Waverly Crest Prestige 45764S The Arrowrock by Fleetwood Homes Nampa - ModularHomes.com

Wow. What an adventure you're on already! You have my sympathy. You living in your mom's old house situation is cracking me up though!

I really like both of those floor plans. We customized/tweaked an existing floor plan so we could have dual aspect from the dining area and two sitting/living rooms, one at the front and one at the back so you could sit and take in the views from each - much like the Barrington (or the Waverly if the best view is out the back and side). Can't wait to see pics of your new digs and I'll be thinking of you while you wait!

The Waverly has an amazing floor plan, and I don’t think you will have trouble finding things to do with all the bedrooms: reptile room, cat room, soap room ... and grandchildren’s overnight room, of course. :nodding:

The only thing I do not like about the Barrington is the Kitchen being in the middle of the house. I have a view of mountains out the back and a view of the valley and mountains from the front. In my old house, my kitchen was situated so I had a view from LA to Orange County and Catalina Island while doing dishes and cooking so I am used to a view out my kitchen.

My reptile house is going to be an outbuilding detached from the main house. With just under 3 acres I shall have room. Depending on build cost I may try to have a smaller separate room added on to the reptile room for soap as long as the ventilation is satisfactory. Heck, I will not need to make soap for at least 2 years.

Kim, my sister never realized I would be able to fire her from taking care of mom and she would no longer be paid if I so choose, all she wanted was the money she was being paid to take care of mom in mom's home. AliOop being an Attorney can appreciate what I went through to accomplish what I did legally. It just never occurred to my sister I could fire her for financial reasons. Oops....try to evict me, I do not play nice but I do things legally. After tomorrow no more house payments!!! Ever, I love it.

Oh, what fun. I will say that while we really like many things about our modular, the one thing we would do differently is choose the higher-end and more expensive fixtures and finishes and trims. We knew we'd have to replace things like the carpet in short order, but we'd never built or had a modular before so we were wary of surprise and "unknown" costs of the build. In the end, those higher quality finishes would have been a drop in the bucket and would have really been worth it. As it stands, 5 years later we do need to replace the carpet, ETA: but also the flooring in the kitchen and dining, all the baseboards and the bathroom fixtures, due only to wear - and it's been just the two of us for three of those years. :)

Last edited:
Must feel nice to have the first part done and over.
I think I'd leave a lot of stuff in boxes, just put them out of mind in a spare room.

I quite like the waverly, the other doesn't seem as cohesive. The walk in closet in the master bath instead of master bed room is weird.
I do like the kitchen in the middle of the house though.

Must feel nice to have the first part done and over.
I think I'd leave a lot of stuff in boxes, just put them out of mind in a spare room.

I quite like the Waverly, the other doesn't seem as cohesive. The walk in closet in the master bath instead of master bed room is weird.
I do like the kitchen in the middle of the house though.
I certainly do agree with the walk-in closet in the master bath. I also like the outside look of the Waverly better. It is a hard decision. Both have good and points I do not like.

How is Sam?

I don’t mind the closet in the master bath as long as there is a separate toilet closet. I should not have to wait to change my clothes bc someone else is using the toilet, lol.

But if there is a toilet closet, then having the clothes closet in the bathroom is actually very handy. Then one doesn’t have to hope that one’s almost-perfect husband remembered to leave the bedroom blinds drawn and the bedroom door closed, so that visitors and neighbors don’t get blinded by things they never wanted to see as one dashes from shower to closet.

Speaking only hypothetically here, of course! 😆

I like the Barrington floor plan. It's very "Florida" like. I also like a closet in the bathroom. Makes it a one stop shop when getting ready to go (in more ways than one). It also allows you to get ready for work while your mate is sleeping. Agree with @AliOop about the toilet closet.

I don't like a clothes closet too close to a room where a shower or tub is likely to billow steam into the closet. I've stayed in places like that and I had to replace the DampRid stuff way too often just to keep up with the humidity. And without DampRid, it was shocking how much moisture accumulated in the towels in the closets in spite of ceiling fans being left on when possible.

One solution to that is to install a towel warmer; besides drying out the used wet towels, it also helps dry out the air in the bathroom. Of course Winnemucca is probably much less humid, so it may be less of a concern.

Another couple of things I don't like are laundry areas inside bathrooms or in kitchens. I've seen both and I find the idea of either set up to be unsanitary and the chances of problems of easy access when sharing with even one other person, to be too annoying to even consider.

Although I do like the idea of privacy in a small WC with its own door (IME, a pocket door is best in this situation), without a sink in the WC, I don't find it to be extremely sanitary. They usually don't have a hand-washing sink. And they are usually poorly lit, and usually don't have an electrical outlet. There usually is room for a small trash can, though, so that's good. But it would be better if there is at least a small hand sink so the toilet user can wash their hands before opening the door to go back into the larger bathroom. Better yet, the toilet would be a bidet/toilet and there would also be a shelf or small table for a lady to keep her lady things she might need while in this little room, and there would be sufficient lighting as well as a good ceiling fan. And of course, an electrical outlet for when the grandkids absolutely MUST charge their phones while on the toilet. Yeah, it happens. ;)

Just my 2¢ & partly my wish list if I were building a new home from the ground up.

I don't like a clothes closet too close to a room where a shower or tub is likely to billow steam into the closet. I've stayed in places like that and I had to replace the DampRid stuff way too often just to keep up with the humidity. And without DampRid, it was shocking how much moisture accumulated in the towels in the closets in spite of ceiling fans being left on when possible.

One solution to that is to install a towel warmer; besides drying out the used wet towels, it also helps dry out the air in the bathroom. Of course Winnemucca is probably much less humid, so it may be less of a concern.

Another couple of things I don't like are laundry areas inside bathrooms or in kitchens. I've seen both and I find the idea of either set up to be unsanitary and the chances of problems of easy access when sharing with even one other person, to be too annoying to even consider.

Although I do like the idea of privacy in a small WC with its own door (IME, a pocket door is best in this situation), without a sink in the WC, I don't find it to be extremely sanitary. They usually don't have a hand-washing sink. And they are usually poorly lit, and usually don't have an electrical outlet. There usually is room for a small trash can, though, so that's good. But it would be better if there is at least a small hand sink so the toilet user can wash their hands before opening the door to go back into the larger bathroom. Better yet, the toilet would be a bidet/toilet and there would also be a shelf or small table for a lady to keep her lady things she might need while in this little room, and there would be sufficient lighting as well as a good ceiling fan. And of course, an electrical outlet for when the grandkids absolutely MUST charge their phones while on the toilet. Yeah, it happens. ;)

Just my 2¢ & partly my wish list if I were building a new home from the ground up.
I am with you. I hate the idea of a closet in the bathroom no matter the location. I am going to see if there is any way it can be relocated but I do not have much hope.

I am with you. I hate the idea of a closet in the bathroom no matter the location. I am going to see if there is any way it can be relocated but I do not have much hope.
If you are going with the version that shows the optional tile shower, you could ask them to put the toilet where the closet is currently located, and then change the door to the existing toilet closet so you access it from the master bedroom, rather than the bathroom. That's a pretty small closet, however.

If you don't care about having a separate tub-shower, then working from the standard plan, have them put the shower controls in the existing tub area. Change the large walk-in closet to a smaller toilet closet. Then all the area shown for the small shower and toilet closet can be made into a master closet, with the door going into the bedroom instead of the bathroom.

Hope that makes sense; I can draw it for you if you want (Karl and I have done a lot of such remodeling in the past).

These modular companies don't often make changes like that, or if they do, they charge dearly for it. But better to do it up front if you can, than try to find someone else to do it for you later.

Back