First Masterbatch Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheryla7

Reaction score
I made my first batch of masterbatch lye months ago, I made a couple batches of soap successfully. But it has now set for months in a Rubbermaid pitcher, it looks to have evaporated some water but I'm not sure how much, I should have marked with tape the level in the pitcher. There are flakes floating in the batch. Can this be saved by adding some water? If not how should I dispose of it?

If an NaOH solution is concentrated enough to make soap, it will absorb water, not evaporate, unless you live in the middle of a desert.

The white flakes are "lye lint" (sodium carbonate) that form when NaOH reacts with carbon dioxide gas in the air. Just mix the lint (and any solids that settle to the bottom of the jug) into the main part of the solution before measuring your lye for a batch.

There are all kinds of Rubbermaid pitchers, so I'm not sure what you've got. I hope yours has a secure screw on cap. It will help prevent accidents and also will help prevent loss of purity.

Latest posts

Back