First Market

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it was yesterday, but I did my first market type event! I’ve been afraid of the entire process of transporting everything, creating a nice display, etc. so I have avoided them. But it was just a small church Christmas bazaar at my church so I felt comfortable being around familiar people for a first shot at this. I did really well considering everybody goes there to get a bargain, win some door prizes and eat the yummy luncheon of turkey salad and turkey soup that they make and serve. Lol. I learned a lot. I brought too much stuff. There’s no handicap access so it was a lot of lugging heavy boxes of soap and everything else up and down stairs, But I had a really nice time and I broke the ice. Here’s a picture. I couldn’t put my banner up because they didn’t allow anything on the walls and it’s a huge banner. Need to get a smaller one for the front of the table. I’m actually very proud of myself!

Attachments

• F16631A7-3348-4A41-99C0-26D9B5CBB1E2.jpeg
    F16631A7-3348-4A41-99C0-26D9B5CBB1E2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BA2F28E5-73EA-445D-98D6-D933C5EF66D7.jpeg
    BA2F28E5-73EA-445D-98D6-D933C5EF66D7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • BAA426A1-87CA-425C-8EA3-6BBE2FD7DFD9.jpeg
    BAA426A1-87CA-425C-8EA3-6BBE2FD7DFD9.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Well, it was yesterday, but I did my first market type event! I’ve been afraid of the entire process of transporting everything, creating a nice display, etc. so I have avoided them. But it was just a small church Christmas bazaar at my church so I felt comfortable being around familiar people for a first shot at this. I did really well considering everybody goes there to get a bargain, win some door prizes and eat the yummy luncheon of turkey salad and turkey soup that they make and serve. Lol. I learned a lot. I brought too much stuff. There’s no handicap access so it was a lot of lugging heavy boxes of soap and everything else up and down stairs, But I had a really nice time and I broke the ice. Here’s a picture. I couldn’t put my banner up because they didn’t allow anything on the walls and it’s a huge banner. Need to get a smaller one for the front of the table. I’m actually very proud of myself!
Very nicely done, @Jersey Girl ! Everything looks attractive, well-balanced and inviting. I'd want to come look at your booth!

Your table looks beautiful. I love the learning curve when doing these types of events and have modified what I bring and how I display and am still learning as I go. One of the things I like is interacting with other vendors, who become friends, so I look forward to seeing them at the next event. I did my first event since the pandemic a few weeks ago and felt like I had to learn all over again, but it's like riding a bike - the muscle memory is always there! Now you can do more and have fun.

Beautiful display, @Jersey Girl ! Love your 3-tier display racks! Where'd you find them?
Thank you! I got those shelves at Aldi at the end of the summer. They are actually plant stands but work perfectly for the soaps! They had all their summer stuff marked way down and these were down to $8.79! I found one at my local store and drove around to all the Aldi.s in 2 counties and found 3 more! I had no idea what I was going to do for displays until I found these. They are a lifesaver and they fold flat.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. So many make it look so easy and have such beautiful displays. I was so stressed that mine wouldn’t measure up. I know I can improve it but taking that first step was huge for me. Internet sales aren’t cutting it as I’m not good at marketing. I’m so much better with in person sales and people need to see and smell The products. This has definitely given me the encouragement and confidence I needed to sign up for some shows in the spring. To be honest though, I don’t know how people do it every weekend! It’s hard work!

@Jersey Girl your table is GOALS for me! My first "market" type event will be a single table at the "Boutique" at our Ladies' Christmas Event. I have some risers and am busy making products, and I know it will be mostly friends there. But still, the labels and layout are stressing me out! I'm going to take courage from your experience (and steal ideas from your pictures, haha).

@Jersey Girl -- great pics on your market! Looks perfect, do not give anything a second thought. @Mobjack Bay , I bookmarked your photo so that I can copy your design -- my favorite color is blue.
I labeled and packed up a 2 loaf special order from my bud in Hawai'i. It was the hot cocoa batch. I threw in a coupla complimentary items to thank him for his business including my last bar of my, ahem, yes, first place finisher, ocean soap :cool:-- my bud introduced me to Kehena Beach which was the inspiration. (Entry Thread for the SMF February 2022 Challenge – Ocean Inspired)

My marketing team aka Mrs. Zing updated my ordering website with new photos and descriptions. I also worked on labeling.

Thank you! I got those shelves at Aldi at the end of the summer. They are actually plant stands but work perfectly for the soaps! They had all their summer stuff marked way down and these were down to $8.79! I found one at my local store and drove around to all the Aldi.s in 2 counties and found 3 more! I had no idea what I was going to do for displays until I found these. They are a lifesaver and they fold flat.
You scored on these, for sure! Your whole setup is lovely and looks very professional! Congratulations on your first market :dance:

That looks incredible. Well done! You must feel so proud. It’s awesome

@Jersey Girl This is fantastic, what a great job you did! Those soap stands are a score. I’m on the hunt now. Also, those cute little crates with the soap! It is a lot of work - agreed. But fun I think. Then people get to know you and you develop a clientele. And you will sort out how much to bring. i used to bring way too much, and then I developed a system - I never sell out of everything, but I don’t mind getting close to selling out. The satisfaction of packing up light boxes at the end of the day is 😍
I did a two day event this past weekend, and didn’t go home in between as my son lives nearby. I had sold out completely of five varieties of soap ( I had 32, which I thought was a lot, but I think I count 45 varieties, amazing!) so I wished I could have restocked.
*Edited to address this to @Jersey Girl not @Mobjack Bay 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Congratulations @Jersey Girl on a successful first market. ❤️ Everything on the table is done to perfection, even the bows. It’s all very inspiring!

Was this thread moved/consolidated from the what soapy thing thread? I’m so confused by the references to the soap I posted there 😂

Congratulations @Jersey Girl on a successful first market. ❤️ Everything on the table is done to perfection, even the bows. It’s all very inspiring!

Was this thread moved/consolidated from the what soapy thing thread? I’m so confused by the references to the soap I posted there 😂
Thank you so much @Mobjack Bay ! Yes, it looks like it was moved. Sorry if I caused anyone trouble! 😬

Great display! I love how you broke your soap into categories. I make way too much soap (!!) I tend to just put simaliar scents next to each other. (I think I have a "scent") problem! Best of luck at your next sale.

Latest posts

Back