First major rookie mistake

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3000

Reaction score
Well, I messed up this batch. I was supposed to add 131 grams (30%) of olive oil but for some reason added 131 grams of coconut oil instead when coconut should have been 96 grams. When I realized my mistake, my exhausted and spaced-out brain thought, it's ok, subtract the extra coconut from the olive oil and use 61 grams of olive oil. Don't ask me why I did this; it's been a long day. When I poured my soap into the mold, I realized I majorly messed up because it was half an inch too low. So instead of having 30% olive oil and 22% coconut, I don't even know what my percentages are now.

I know that the amount of lye goes by type and amounts of oils, not weight, right? So my question is, how doomed is my soap? Is there a way to salvage it? Is it going to be really lye heavy? I have never rebatched soap, so maybe now is a good time to learn? The correct recipe is below; ignore the liquid require, soap calc doesn't discount for vinegar correctly.

I used my whole bottle of white tea and ginger fragrance too. :(
Screenshot 2022-02-08 4.38.37 PM.png

Not sure why you would have used 61g of olive oil if you just subtracted the extra. Since 131-96 = 35 (extra coconut). Then 131-35 = 96. You seem to have somehow not only swapped the coconut and OO but went on to subtract.

If you would like an easy way just copy this recipe but alter the weight of the olive oil and coconut in the calc. You will not only see the difference in the lye amount required but also the percentages of coconut and OO put in. Based on that you can adjust the values in the cal until you have the correct values.

Do note that based on what you mentioned, your total oil weight was probably 400g and not 436g.

Back