First Liquid Soap - Pics added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here I am at Midnight making my first Liquid soap. It got to the paste stage really quickly and when she (Catherine Failor) says the consistnency of Salt Water Taffy she ain't kidding! And it seems like it occurs all of a sudden. There I am happily stickblending along and wham it's right there - paste!

So now I'm on to the 3 hour cook.....and here I am!

I was really afraid of it too - I has heard all kinds of nasty things about KoH, and it does react differently when you add it to your water and then again when you add it to your oils. That's was the biggest scary thing for me though, Now it is pure, unadulturated curiousty at work. It took me literally months to work up the guts to try this one AND permission to fail.... :p

I know what you mean.
I was like that (as are most people I think) when I first started to get into soaping, I was scared of the lye, scared of the unknown I guess.
Koh isn't as easy to get over here as Naoh.

Really - we're really fortuntate here - lye isn't a problem for us to get in any form....I've had the Koh sitting around here for at least 6 weeks as I built up my courage and yeah I was like that with CP too....

Here's what it looks like at this stage - nothing like the book :shock:

DSCN1744.jpg

Wow Lindy!!! I love how brave you are - braver than me :roll: It does look like paste......like something you would bottle and give to school kids to use on paper :wink: Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Tanya :)

And now comes the fun part, getting that thick gooey glob to dissolve in water. What were you making? Did you follow one of the recipes out of the book or make your own up? Did you go +10% on the lye or something else?

This is my latest in liquid soaps. A tea tree shampoo.

shampoo001.jpg

Bruce

Bruce I used a recipe out of Catherine's book but I ran it through SoapMaker to adjust the Lye so I do have a 5% lye discount. I know that means it won't be clear but I don't want to worry about lye heavy.

Chrissy for me the next step was sleep but now I'm ready to attack it again.

Bruce the book says I can glycerine to clear the cloudiness so I'm going to try that.

Good for you Lindy :D That is something I would like to try too, I am a little short on the "courage " factor yet. Can't wait to hear what it turns out like.

Waiting with bated breath :wink:

Kitn

Here are the pictures of the first batch of liquid soap (I am keeping base to play with). It's milky looking because I did a 5% SF as I am terrified of lye heavy soap. I scented it and coloured it. I am waiting on some pearlizing to come in and then I will pearlize it at the same time as I add my borax to thicken it.

This is a lot of work and I was sooooo terrified of it. Now that I've done I'm willing to try it again but let me tell you it takes huge time commitment.......but worth it....

DSCN1745.jpg

Looks good!

Ive been wanting to try LS again. I've only ever made it once and that was a few years back. I have everything I need but I want to make it one day while everyone else is at work and school so I won't be bothered.

Looks really good, Lindy! This on my (long) list of things to try eventually. Love seeing the pix of your creations.

so Borax thickens Liquid soap? how much should you add?

I tried to make a liquid soap from someone elses LS base, I added powdered Goats Milk to Rosewater, FO and emulsifier - well the Goats milk is sitting on the top of the thin, supper runny green soapy liquid - I wanted to get it thicker - I was thinking of adding gelatine???? But Borax thickens.....tell me more, tell me more.

Thanks guys - but I think I have a problem - it it supposed to separate like this? I probably shouldn't have superfatted huh....

DSCN1748.jpg

Help......... :oops:

Hey Lindy , the reading I have done on liquid soaps suggest 0%
superfat , but if you do superfat , polysorbate 20 is supposed to keep the oils together . So I think your separation is normal from what I have read.

Kitn

Back