First Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finding uses for my excess CO 92.

Okay, I know there's not much to see here. I'm psyched anyway because I've never gotten around to making laundry soap before. This is the 2 parts soap, 1 part washing soda and 1 part borax recipe.

The soap is 100% CO 92. It's made with 0% lye discount and 40% lye concentration. I also added sodium acetate by using vinegar for some of the lye water. That was in hopes of making the soap more brittle and crumbly to help with pulverizing it.

With the soap still warm, I dismembered it using the shredding disk in the food processor. I spread it out and let it sit a while, then I chopped it and mixed it with the other ingredients with the food processor blade.

That's about all. First load of clothes is in the machine!

IMG_20160109_034629.jpg

IMG_20160109_042812.jpg

IMG_20160109_064205.jpg

I need to make more too. This time I'm adding citric acid. That's a great looking loaf! Did you leave any chunks for stain sticks?

My sister and brother won't try my laundry soap - I made both a dry and a liquid version. I will confess, I'm kind of butthurt about it.

I'd feel the same way too. Sorry they're being stick-in-the-muds about it. But look on the bright side: More for you... Unless you're willing to ship your wares to those who may request some, of course. :mrgreen:

Wow, this stuff works very well!

Does it clean the clothes well?

I also made yesterday a 100% CO, 30% lye concentration with 0 superfat and 4% Trisodium citrate, and will grate the bars to make them powder that I will use with washing soda, and kept some stain sticks to have in case I need them.

100CO-b.jpg

While I was mixing lye (at room temperature) and CO (just above its melting point) I only used a whisk and for 15min I was trying to reach thin trace but with no luck. I finally used the SB for 5-6 seconds in order to have the trace I was looking for. So I after that I think I will never be afraid of any accelerating FO and recipe as long as a whisk is only used.

Did around 10min CPOP to the 100% CO while it was hardening in the milk package mold and the soap gelled right away reaching 80°C. It was really fluid while it melted in the gel phase. So pretty to see for the first time this phenomenon while I was squeezing the paper milk package. All my other soaps have been gelling in a wooden mold so I never had seen this how it behaves in my hands and how hot is it.

100CO-a.jpg

(Sorry topofmurrayhill for hijacking your thread, but this was also my first laundry soap and I didn't want to create another laundry thread).

Last edited:
I find it cleans really well. I mix mine with equal amounts of washing soda and oxyclean .
Why oxyclean is used? Also a soaper told me that washing soda fades the colored clothes and only uses it for white clothes.

I was also thinking to use the tablets for softening hard water we use almost in every program in the washing machine, or do you think washing soda does the same job?

Finally I was thinking of using 5% washing soda as an additive in a regular soap bar instead of sugar in an experiment, do you think shunt that it will be harsh for the skin or it won't do anything as long as it will be mixed with water and maybe will loose its strength?

Back