First HP...Taffy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyE

Reaction score
I decided to try to do HP for the first time, but I think I cooked it too long. It was the consistency of taffy when I poured/glopped, but it just did not seem to neutralize like I thought it would. Could be my pH testers, though since my CP soaps always test high with the strips that I have, but no zap on those CP soaps.

Did I cook it too long? In the mold, you can almost see all of the spoonful glops that I put in. It is still cooling, though.

Thanks!

It sounds like you cooked it a little bit too long and too much of the moisture cooked out. My HP usually goes through a vaseline like stage, then it kinda separates, then it's like mashed potatoes. That's when I pour/glop.

I still do the zap test rather than ph strips because a perfectly good soap can register a bit high on the test strips, but still be good to use. Just make sure it doesn't zap after a couple of days and it should be fine.

Here's a suggestion for the next time you cook a batch too thick. Grab some waxed paper, put that on top of the soap you've just glopped into the mold, and then put on some oven mitts. Then just push that soap down however you want. :)

Thanks! I was reading a book about HP, and it said to cook it for 3 hours, testing every 30 minutes with pH strips and stir. Three hours just seemed too long. I cooked about 1-1/2 to 2, and it just did not seem right. Ho hum. Lesson learned!

Thanks for the waxed paper tip. Good idea! :D

I know a lot of people who have luck with that method....I'm not one of them! :lol:

Here's what I do.

1) I start melting my weighed oils on high in my Crock Pot. If I'm using a fragrance oil, I add this then.

2) I mix my lye into my water and set aside until the oils are melted.

3) Once the oils are melted, I add the lye solution and stick blend until trace.

4)I put the lid on the Crock Pot and check it in 10-15 minutes. I stir it down when necessary, and keep checking and stirring every 10-15 minutes after.

5) When it looks like mashed potatoes.....I take a tiny bit and tongue test for zap....if it zaps, I cook another 10 minutes....if not, I color it and plop it into molds.

I'm usually done in under an hour start to finish. :)

Cool. Thanks! Your method is really close to what I ended up doing, except for over cook it. I definitely had to stir it down quite a bit, about every 15 minutes. I also used GM, which was probably not what I should done for a first time HP batch :lol:

I guess it is probably going to have an interesting texture, anyway. Thanks!

I bet it's perfectly good soap when all is said and done. :)

My first batch of HP went more awry than that. I set the timer, then forgot to press start.....next thing I hear is "OMG!!!! It's erupting!!!"

I ran into the kitchen, and sure enough, my crockpot had turned into Mt. Vesuvius. :lol: I scooped it all back in after a few choice words and finished cooking it. It still made a very nice lime castile. :)

MikeInPdx said:
I bet it's perfectly good soap when all is said and done. :)

My first batch of HP went more awry than that. I set the timer, then forgot to press start.....next thing I hear is "OMG!!!! It's erupting!!!"

I ran into the kitchen, and sure enough, my crockpot had turned into Mt. Vesuvius. :lol: I scooped it all back in after a few choice words and finished cooking it. It still made a very nice lime castile. :)

:lol: :lol: LMAO!!! I haven't had that happen...YET! Anyway, soap looks/tastes usable. I used coffee and GM and then added corn meal at the end, just before glopping.

Thanks Mike! I would add a photo, but am a dork and haven't figured out how to do that yet! :wink:

I would add a pic of my poor crockpot afterwards, but they have Flickr and Photobucket blocked at work. I'll see what I can do when I get home. It's pretty funny.

I only do hp soaps. Tried the cp method but I thought there were to many problems that can go wrong. Also waiting 4 to 6 weeks cure time and find out your soap didn't turn out, is not for me!

I use a large crook pot and only use the WARM setting. I never have a volcano problem. I did however when I cooked at low or high temp setting. Never had a problem on warm. It takes 2 hours after trace. I add a little more liquid with my lye and that makes my soap pour nice instead of glopping out of the pot. Also super fat at the end of the cook helps thin the soap nicely for the pour too.

Some times the oils puddle on top during the cook. I just whisk a couple times. After 2 hours I give a good whisk and wait a few minutes. If my soap looks like gel and no oil puddles on the surface or in the tiny crevices, I do the zap test and pour.

MikeInPdx said:
I know a lot of people who have luck with that method....I'm not one of them! :lol:

Here's what I do.

1) I start melting my weighed oils on high in my Crock Pot. If I'm using a fragrance oil, I add this then.

2) I mix my lye into my water and set aside until the oils are melted.

3) Once the oils are melted, I add the lye solution and stick blend until trace.

4)I put the lid on the Crock Pot and check it in 10-15 minutes. I stir it down when necessary, and keep checking and stirring every 10-15 minutes after.

5) When it looks like mashed potatoes.....I take a tiny bit and tongue test for zap....if it zaps, I cook another 10 minutes....if not, I color it and plop it into molds.

I'm usually done in under an hour start to finish. :)

That's exactly how I do mine, and it has worked every time (I've blown it now haven;t I?!!)

I am interested in using more water, as mine is quite gluey when getting it into the mould.
what % to oils would be good for this? I think the soapcalc standard setting is 38%.

thanks,
Emma.

retropants said:
That's exactly how I do mine, and it has worked every time (I've blown it now haven;t I?!!)

I am interested in using more water, as mine is quite gluey when getting it into the mould.
what % to oils would be good for this? I think the soapcalc standard setting is 38%.

thanks,
Emma.

*Does a little anti hex dance for retropants......begone soap pixies!*
:lol:

I use the soapcalc standard too.....I wonder if you couldn't up it in 2% increments and see what happens. ????

I'm not very experienced yet and have not figured out my percentages. I made my own recipe and have made about 30 batches of soap so far. This makes 6.5 pounds. My recipe calls for 24 oz water to 9.20 oz lye. Total 68 oz. oil mixture.

I add 32 oz of water instead of 24 oz and it pours perfect. My soap has to set and dry a good week and I weigh a bar daily to monitor it's weight loss.

Sometimes I will follow the recipe with 24 oz water but at the end of cooking I add 12 oz canned goat milk. It's excellent, no orange or color change. Nice hard bars.

PH tests about 8.5 I use PH-Fix 0-14 strips

MikeInPdx said:
*Does a little anti hex dance for retropants......begone soap pixies!*
:lol:

I use the soapcalc standard too.....I wonder if you couldn't up it in 2% increments and see what happens. ????

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the lucky vibes!
I was thinking of trying about 42-45% and see what happens, it can't hurt!!

MsBrenda said:
Sometimes I will follow the recipe with 24 oz water but at the end of cooking I add 12 oz canned goat milk. It's excellent, no orange or color change. Nice hard bars.

Experienced or no, it sounds like a lovely bar of soap. :)

Retropants said:
thanks for the lucky vibes!
I was thinking of trying about 42-45% and see what happens, it can't hurt!!
I totally agree....worst case situation I can think of is bars that take a while longer to cure.

Latest posts

Back