first hp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummy

Reaction score
Hi all. Thought i would share this with you. I made my first hp soap 3 days ago. Using this ingredients.
Lard 100g - oliver oil 100g - coconut oil 100g - sunflower oil 150g. Water 171g caustics soda 62.89. 30g oatmeal milk (i took 30g of the water to make this). Some essential oils and 1g of creamed coconut (mixed together and kept warm i kept everything warm including my mould). 2g sunflower oil with annatto seeds ( pre made the day before to get a very bright orange). I did the normal mixing of oils and lye until light trace, i then covered it up for 5 mins then stirred kept doing this until it got to apple stage i then used my stick blender again until it smooth a bit (about 1 min). I then left it for 1 min and then then add my essential oils and mixed that in with my stick blender. I then add my oatmeal milk and mixed it again with my stick blend. I took half my now fluid soap ( not running fluid but enough to pour in to the moulds to do a swill with). I then add my colour oil to the one half (yep it was very bright) then i did half and half in colours and use i coat hander i modified bit to use to make some swils. I cut my soap after 4 hours and now i am just waiting for them to cure. ( i weigh one soap everyday to check the water in it, when it doesn't go down in grames anymore it is ready to use and should be hard). Now on to your expert can you tell me if i have done it all right (suppose i will know in time :))

How did the bars hold up to cutting so soon? Four hours is a short set time. Also, photos are a must! :) Lets see your (complex) first HP soap.

Soap was fine for cutting no problems there, with hp soap you can cut it sooner then cp.some people put the soap in the freezer so they can cut it faster but my house is always cold so no need for that :) I have add a photo for you to see.

20170127_134622.jpg

Last edited:
I have made HP many times. If you color is oil base (glycerin?) you can add it at trace, and then achieve a more uniform color on the bar. But your bars look beautiful!

I like HP because I am so impatient, and you can use them way sooner than CP

That looks pretty. Nice job on your swirls.

Regarding using HP soap sooner, maybe so, but in my experience it improves with age. My older HP soaps are much better than when they were young, just like my CP soaps. So I do not buy into that hype about them being ready sooner. There's a lot more going on during cure than water loss.

Back