First hot process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Reaction score
My husband brought home a big fat deer last night, and so today when he skinned it I asked him for much of the fat. He brought in suet (around kidneys) as well as tallow.

Since I was rendering the tallow, I decided to do my first HP.

I used a proven recipe of my own:
Deer tallow: 45%
CO 20%
OO pomace 30%
CO 5%
8% superfat

I used rosemary, rosewood and bergemot EOs (just a little).

I made one small (25 ounce) bread loaf pan. It went well, but I didn't want to add some of my favorite ingredients- goat's milk, beer, honey- because I wasn't sure how it'd react.

The bar is fairly ugly on top, but it's firm and unmolded. I will cut tomorrow.

For a simple soap like this, I don't think HP was at all time saving. CP would have been quicker to pouring, and would still be cut tomorrow.

I think the benefit of HP (adding EOs at pour, so to hopefully have some scent) may not overweigh the confidence I have with using goat's milk and other ingredients, at least at this point.

It took about 3 hours from the time I gathered my ingredients to the time I put the soap in the mold. With CP, it's definitely less than an hour (often 1/2 hour) to pour.

Since it takes a bit longer, and the clean up is about the same, I'm trying to picture in my mind what the advantages are to HP. I know that I could add superfat after the cook, if I wanted a specific oil to be the superfat oil. Cutting may be quicker. I can use less EOs (although, I won't use fragrance oils anyway and don't want any sort of strong scent due to my asthma anyway).

What do others see as the advantage to HP over just CP?

Latest posts

Back