First Goats Milk Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakethemouse

Reaction score
Hello,

I finished my first batch of Goat Milk Soap a few days ago. The soap smells and feels great however I noticed when I cut it today it has a light green square center. If anyone can tell me why this happened that would be great.

Ingredients I used were OO, CO,Shea butter, Cocoa Butter and Caster. GT sub for water and orange EO and Lavender EO.

20170302_183259.jpg

Its very faint in the photo. Hopefully you can make it out.

Thanks,
Peter

20170302_183255.jpg

Hello,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Hi,
It looks beautiful, congratulations!!
To me it looks like it just hasn't gelled all the way through.

You can either gel or not gel and get rid of this problem.
To gel you have to wrap the soap and keep it at 40*C (or so there is a debate :)) for 12-18 hrs. You can do this by putting the mold in a cardboard box and wrap it in a blanket and put it in an oven at 40* C and turn the oven off as soon as you put the soap in and leave it overnight. Do not peak.

To stop gel you have to do other things....

I go for gel with all my soaps (including goats milk) as I find it easier.
Others will chime in on how to stop gel.

Thanks Penelope,

I'm been afraid of soaping too hot cause im dealing with GM.

I'll wrap my next batch and see how i go.

Cheers

Thanks Penelope,

I'm been afraid of soaping too hot cause im dealing with GM.

I'll wrap my next batch and see how i go.

Cheers

Soaping too hot with GM will change the colour and make it smell bad. Over cooking a GM soap (or any for that matter) will also make it smell bad.

Whatever you are doing so far is working. You just have to keep its own natural heat a little longer while it saponified a or avoid gel altogether.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like partial gel to me, it's too square. Partial gel is always round in my experience.
I don't know what causes a rind like that on some soaps but I bet it fades as it cures.

That makes sense Obsidian! It looks the same shape as the distinctive rind on vanilla soaps (only pale).

So that would mean that the soap should smooth out to the "rind" colour over time.

It's a pretty soap colour.

Latest posts

Back