First Goat Milk Soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I finally got around to trying goat milk soaps and they actually turned out successful!!! I was so nervous about scorching the milk, or getting too hot by using honey for the first time. But it all worked out and I’m so relieved.

thank you to everyone on this forum for all the advice!!! You’re all AMAZING!

Bars on the left are oatmeal and honey. Bars on the right are just oatmeal (with cocoa powder pencil line and vanilla fragrance for the discolouration).

Attachments

• 298AF1E6-7908-4985-B777-9BE358FEC904.jpeg
    298AF1E6-7908-4985-B777-9BE358FEC904.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 77
I finally got around to trying goat milk soaps and they actually turned out successful!!! I was so nervous about scorching the milk, or getting too hot by using honey for the first time. But it all worked out and I’m so relieved.

Bars on the left are oatmeal and honey. Bars on the right are just oatmeal (with cocoa powder pencil line and vanilla fragrance for the discolouration).

Very, very nice. Well don!!!

Congrats! @EllieMae could you share you techniques for this one? Did you do split lye? Temp? etc?

It seems Ellie Mae hasn't been here for a while so I'll share my technique.
I made GM soap for a wholesale customer in Mobile for years. They had fresh GM to use, but I didn't. I found the easiest way to make GM soap was to use powdered GM added to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. I mixed my oils for the batch ahead of time, including GM powder, fragrance and any other additives, including honey, the day before.

Then I made up the lye solution and let it chill in the fridge overnight. Next morning, I warmed the oils, gave a full 1 minute stir to be sure everything was well blended, then added the lye straight from the fridge. I SB'ed to emulsion and poured. Covered the molds and off to the laundry room to set overnight. Ready to unmold and cut the next morning. ;)

HTH

Congrats! @EllieMae could you share you techniques for this one? Did you do split lye? Temp? etc?

I've been meaning to make milk soap for sometime now. Thanks!
I froze the goat milk and added the lye slowly, mixing constantly, while using an ice bath as well. I've done a few more goat milk batches this way and my lye/milk mixture never gets above 80F. My oils are typically around 110F and I really like soaping at these temps.

The freezing of the milk makes soaping so much faster (don't have to wait for the lye mixture temp to come down) so I'm considering using distilled water ice cubes for my regular batches from now on.

I love both!!! Especially the cocoa line!

Beautiful!!

they are lovely!

Zany what temperature do you warm your oils to.... when you're adding the lye straight from the fridge ?

Not much more than room temp, @Malleebird. The 1-minute stir is the important part to be sure everything is well blended in before adding the lye solution and that happens easier with warm oils, IME. ;)

Great, thanks.....so can I use this method for other milk soaps too?
I've only used powdered GM which contains goodies most beneficial to the skin. I s'pose you could use buttermilk powder. I can't think of any other powdered milk. I'm curious. What do you have in mind? :videovisit:

I can't think of any other powdered milk. I'm curious. What do you have in mind?
No Zany, wasn't thinking other milk powders but milks in general. Doing the milk split and then your method. So half the water content mixed with lye and refrigerated over night.... with the other half milk added to the oils and warmed ? Does that make sense ?

No Zany, wasn't thinking other milk powders but milks in general. Doing the milk split and then your method. So half the water content mixed with lye and refrigerated over night.... with the other half milk added to the oils and warmed ? Does that make sense ?
Um, no. 😄 Use Ellie May's technique Post #8. for milks in general

Back