First Ever Soap - Late Mother's Day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixellVixen

Reaction score
Thanks to all of those who were helping me with my recipe a few weeks ago in that forum! Finally got all of my materials in Thursday afternoon and spent a long day at work Friday wishing I could go home and try out Soap Making.

It was oodles of fun! I feel like I over-mixed my batter a little (passed "pudding" and got to "pancake batter") for the design I was going for, but it didn't turn out as badly as I feared it might! Passed the zap test. It was also pretty soft when I cut it but it did alright otherwise. Hopefully my mom and step mom like these! Wasn't able to see them this year on the day itself because of COVID 19 and their vulerablility to it, so I'll take these to them when it's safer for me to do so.

The smaller bars at the edges of the photos are my extra batter bars lol. No design on those, just poured what I had into my other mold to make sure I wasted as little as possible.

Edit- Thought to share the youtube video that showed how to do this design to give proper credit:

Attachments

• Message_1590937044197.jpg
    Message_1590937044197.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200531_075529.jpg
    20200531_075529.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200530_122703.jpg
    20200530_122703.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Fantastic job for a first-time soap maker!
Thank you, I appreciate it :)

Wow, you did fantastic for a first-time soap. It took me a very long time to ever get a soap to look that nice.
I obsessively was watching and reading about it over a few weeks while I waited for my materials to come, so I think that helped a lot. I followed a youtube video that I watched a handful of time so I had a pretty good idea of what I was going for design-wise as well. Definitely can't take credit for the idea haha. The colors caught me initially because my step mom loves those greens and yellows on things.

This is your first soap!? I should stop right now... 😖

Noooooo! I don't know if it's a *good* soap yet. Still have to cure it. Even if it looks ok, what's the point if it's bad soap? No quitting though, and like I said before, I can't take credit for the idea or color combo :) I'm sure if I hadn't been impatiently filling my time with soap while waiting to be able to soap it wouldn't have had such a clear goal in mind or prep leading up to it.

Noooooo! I don't know if it's a *good* soap yet. Still have to cure it. Even if it looks ok, what's the point if it's bad soap? No quitting though, and like I said before, I can't take credit for the idea or color combo :) I'm sure if I hadn't been impatiently filling my time with soap while waiting to be able to soap it wouldn't have had such a clear goal in mind or prep leading up to it.

Oh believe me, I’ve been filling my time with soap related info myself. Some people are just naturals, I guess!

I watched the video to which you linked and I don’t understand why the colors you pour after the white layer « drop into » it and don’t just stay on top. Looking at the technique I would never have imagined you could get such a result.

Oh believe me, I’ve been filling my time with soap related info myself. Some people are just naturals, I guess!

I watched the video to which you linked and I don’t understand why the colors you pour after the white layer « drop into » it and don’t just stay on top. Looking at the technique I would never have imagined you could get such a result.

I think the soap is thick enough that it just displaces the soap around it, and pouring it from high up creates enough force to push what it lands on down to get that drop effect. Some of the more timid pours I did were closer and definitely didn't sink as much as I wanted, and since mine was thicker than what is shown in the video, from my point of view it definitely looked like it was just falling to be on top which caused some worry too 😌 My timid pouring and thick batter definitely made a less dramatic drop effect compared to the video's.

Thanks to all of those who were helping me with my recipe a few weeks ago in that forum! Finally got all of my materials in Thursday afternoon and spent a long day at work Friday wishing I could go home and try out Soap Making.

It was oodles of fun! I feel like I over-mixed my batter a little (passed "pudding" and got to "pancake batter") for the design I was going for, but it didn't turn out as badly as I feared it might! Passed the zap test. It was also pretty soft when I cut it but it did alright otherwise. Hopefully my mom and step mom like these! Wasn't able to see them this year on the day itself because of COVID 19 and their vulerablility to it, so I'll take these to them when it's safer for me to do so.

The smaller bars at the edges of the photos are my extra batter bars lol. No design on those, just poured what I had into my other mold to make sure I wasted as little as possible.

Edit- Thought to share the youtube video that showed how to do this design to give proper credit:

You nailed it great job

Amazing!!! I haven’t made a pattern like that but want to try now! Thx god the video link!

WOW 🤩

Latest posts

Back