First ever cold process underway.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheDogs

Reaction score
So, after much reading and much researching, I've made my first cold process.

It's currently under the obligatory 24hour cure after pouring, so will let you know how it goes.

I used:

840g Olive Oil
341g Coconut oil
168g Lye
393g water.

I've scented it with apple pie and cherry/alomnd and colored it to match, along with a "pie crust".

Very nervous, but in an excited way.

Tried to keep it really simple, so avoided aloe vera and frills like that.

Wish me luck!

soap cold 1.jpg

Congratulations and good luck. I'd check that soap after 24 hours to make sure it's hard enough to unmold and cut. With Olive Oil making up that much of a percentage of your oils, it's possible it may need a little longer to harden up enough.

Congratulations! Now the tough part is letting the soap tell you when it's ready to unmold and cut.
Don't forget to post pictures!!

Wait a sec, so you make and sell soap to aid rescue dogs? That's wonderful! If this is your first batch of CP though, have you been making and selling MP? I hope so, because if you're advertising CP that would be a reallllllly, realllllly bad idea, as many of us experienced soapers will chime in.

ETA, I see from your Etsy site you've been doing MP and it looks really nice, apologies about getting alarmed. Best wishes on your first CP batch, eager to see updates!

Last edited:
Yep, we need pics of your first soap-baby both in the mold and when you cut. Ditto what others said about needing more time to unmold since it's a high olive oil batch. What type of mold did you use?

sounds very similar to my first soap, only I used orange EO in mine. 7 months later, it's a really nice bar! And to parrot others, pics please!

It's been around 14 hours and yes, I have no intention of doing anything with it until at least 24 hours has past. Maybe even 36. There was a lot of oil in there and I want to be sure.

The little mark in the middle is from the cling wrap I covered it with. It sagged and touched the soap, but no problem. This is a first attempt and will almost certainly be used by myself or given away for free with the MP orders I get.

It's a Cherry/Almond and Apple Pie scented soap and as such, is colored a red, green and I kept a little back of the natural color.

I shall check it again later this afternoon in 10-12 hours.

All very exciting this, isn't it? :)

Soap cold 2.jpg

Soap cold 3.jpg

soap cold 4.jpg

Very nice.

A little tip - cure is the part after the soap is cut and left alone for a month or so (much longer for this soap, with so much OO). In the mould a cp soap is saponifying and setting up.

Looking forward to cut pics

Yeah, I've bought a cute little standing.... thing. I actually figured on 6 weeks due to the high oil content, like you said.

I have no doubt my first attempt will be a little, well, crappy, but it's all a learning curve. Here's to learning! Cheers! **clink**

I think it might be closer to 3 months cure time for this one as it is mostly OO

Hahaha! Then so be it! I'm a patient soul and have plenty of MP things to do and room to store my various creations.

Like I say, the learning curve may be a steep one and I don't don't that they'll be many failures along the way, but the same could be said for pretty much anything. I had my backside handed to me many, many, MANY times in the dojo before I got my first armbar submission. And much like that glorious feeling of "Yay! I didn't lose!", that first batch of CP that works perfectly will be a golden day.

:)

Just as an aside, I noticed you're using evoo. Regular oo is just fine, and cheaper. Check Costco they sell it as well as CO, and other oils. Lucky dogs!! Happy soaping! Congrats!!

Congrats! It looks very nice. I also think it's glorious you are patient! Once you cut it, you might want to keep a bar aside for testing so you can try it weekly while it cures. It's a wonderful way to see how much your soap improves with a good cure!

Congratulations with your first batch!
Mmm, Apple pie type of soap, sounds lovely, made me want dessert:mrgreen:
Can`t wait to see pictures if you get a chance.

Latest posts

Back