First ever batch, I can't figure it out!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meldoesasoapy

Reaction score
I can't tell what these white specks are or why the soap doesn't look smooth/ creamy inside. I read the troubleshooting here but nothing really sounded like what I'm seeing.
Recipe:
5.4 oz palm, all heated & shook vigorously
5.4 oz olive
5.4 oz coconut
5.27 oz distilled water
2.35 oz lye
About. 8 oz fragrance oil
Soaped at 118 and 109 lye water and oil.
Molded at medium trace, covered with a blanket for 12 hours, cut with soap cutter.

NOTE: my scale is not very good, I'm sure my measures are not incredibly accurate. I also am not that gentle when blending?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20200115_084527.jpg
    20200115_084527.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32
I think it might be air bubbles? Hard to tell from the photo. Did you burn your blender each time you put it in? Did you keep it immersed the whole time or keep lifting it up near the surface and allowing air to the batter? Did you bang the mold after pouring to bring all air bubbles to the top?

Some of the specks look like air bubbles? Yet I also see what looks like particulate matter too. Curious to what that is too! Do you see air bubbles?

I think it might be air bubbles? Hard to tell from the photo. Did you burn your blender each time you put it in? Did you keep it immersed the whole time or keep lifting it up near the surface and allowing air to the batter? Did you bang the mold after pouring to bring all air bubbles to the top?
I tried to be super careful of that when using the stick blender, just short bursts, stirring, short bursts, stirring, never breaking the top surface. Then when I added the FO I whisked the rest of the way. Pretty vigorously.

Apparently the wire cutters can exacerbate the appearance of air bubbles. If you have a little dig with a toothpick or something - are the bubbles hollow? If so then probably air bubbles. Does the soap zap at all?
It's air bubbles!! That's a relief, although, now how do I stop those? I thought I was being pretty careful?

Pouring at thinner trace can help allow the bubbles to raise to the surface, so can gentle banging of the mold.
Some stick blenders just make more bubbles. Male sure you always burp your blender, it helps.
When you used the wisk, were you gentle or did you wisk like your life depended on it?

Pouring at thinner trace can help allow the bubbles to raise to the surface, so can gentle banging of the mold.
Some stick blenders just make more bubbles. Male sure you always burp your blender, it helps.
When you used the wisk, were you gentle or did you wisk like your life depended on it?
I whisked like my whole families life depended on it I'll bet that's my problem right there. Does the soap look ok besides the air bubbles?

Welcome to the addiction -- your first batch looks great! When you put in your stick blender, keep it immersed and off and tap it on the bottom of your bowl to release air bubbles -- that's called burping your blender. Do this every time you put your blender in. Stir and whisk gently. After pouring in to the mold, pick up your mold 1-2 inches off the counter and drop it.

Latest posts

Back