First ever bar of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you do that for all soaps then even if the ingredient is is different? Would they all turn out ok? What made you choose that percentage

Yes, with the exception of HP, I'll add a extra ounce or so of water when I make it. My soaps are very much similar so I have no issues with that concentration and I don't generally use additives. I even use 33% when making salt bars.

I picked that % based on trial and error, it gives good consistent results and the soap has a texture I like. If I want it to gel, its easy to encourage, if I want ungelled, its also easy to prevent. I don't get glycerin rivers or steric spots.

Don't worry I will be sure to take loys of pics! So can I ask what is the diffrence in a low lye percentage and a higher lye percentage? What would be the outcome difference?
I think you are confusing concentration with percentage. Your lye % should be the same because your oils will dictate how much lye is needed. It's your % of water that will change.
A low lye concentration (higher water percentage) means there is more water in your lye solution, which can contribute to a slower trace, more workable time with the batter, easier to get to gel phase, may end up softer/in the mold longer.
A high lye concentration (lower water percentage) can be just the opposite of everything I just mentioned. For a lot of people a 33% lye solution is the sweet spot. Just enough workable time, but sets up faster so is unmoldable faster, and you can cut sooner.

Hope this makes sense.

ok so i given it a go tonight i used soapee here is the calculations if anyone can tell me if this is ok! bit late now but still haha. -http://soapee.com/recipes/6534 (please let me know if this link works to the recipe)i also added 100ml of aloe vera juice and deducted from the water the the remaining water i mixed with coconut milk powder then added lye whilst keeping the temp cold in freezing water and mixing. i poured in my diy mould which was bait of a disaster some came out the bottom, i used an old poster round tub like a pringle tub!now how long will it take to set. how long before i can try the soap? also because of the lard will it smell funny? i forgot to put essential oil in but ideally i wanted to keep it natural as poss to stop any reaction. of course i will upload pics as soon as possible. my other question when i tried to upload it says enter url? is that not just for pics of the internet i want to just attach one from my camera album on my phone?

Did you want this here, or on your new post? Cut and paste copies of the same post across different threads are unnerving (I had to double-check I was in the right thread :confused:). It's ok to link to your new post, you've every right to be proud and start a new (First Soap!!) thread to show it off! :)

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ing-to-set-recipe-opinion-will-it-work.69389/
I'm not really sure how it works! Iv never used a page like this before, I wated to reply to Everton on the original thread but wasn't sure if new people would be able to see that or comment with it being an old post? So though I'd start a new one as well! What do you mean link to new post? Can you see 2 of the same thing then? How should I do it normally?

I get what you're saying. Everyone has been wonderfully helpful on this thread and you wanted to share (and so you should!).

All I meant was that it was a copy of the same text ... it took me a moment to work out that it was a copy, not me getting muddled as to which topic I was on :D

I'm not really sure how it works! Iv never used a page like this before, I wated to reply to Everton on the original thread but wasn't sure if new people would be able to see that or comment with it being an old post? So though I'd start a new one as well! What do you mean link to new post? Can you see 2 of the same thing then? How should I do it normally?

If you take a copy of your new post URL, you can paste in into your text when you type, or embed it in your text using the little link option up the top (again, if the app works the same as what I'm seeing - hopefully this is helpful!) ... linking to the photo's of your first soap like this ...

Newie89's new soap!

Edited: Name type corrected ... and fixed the link :oops:

Last edited:
I get what you're saying. Everyone has been wonderfully helpful on this thread and you wanted to share (and so you should!).

All I meant was that it was a copy of the same text ... it took me a moment to work out that it was a copy, not me getting muddled as to which topic I was on :D

If you take a copy of your new post URL, you can paste in into your text when you type, or embed it in your text using the little link option up the top (again, if the app works the same as what I'm seeing - hopefully this is helpful!) ... linking to the photo's of your first soap like this ...

Newie89's new soap!

Edited: Name type corrected :oops:
I'm sorry I'm confused! Haha so do you mean start the new thread but then copy a link to the old one on there?

I'm sorry I'm confused! Haha so do you mean start the new thread but then copy a link to the old one on there?

Oh no. My confusion is catching!!!

I was just trying to let you know that copying the same text across multiple (different) topics is confusing (to me), but it's perfectly good to want to show your new (awesome!) creation ... so you can point people to your new thread if you want (using the technique I was talking about).

It's fine, it's not actually a problem. Don't worry about it, just be proud of your new soap :D

Oh no. My confusion is catching!!!

I was just trying to let you know that copying the same text across multiple (different) topics is confusing (to me), but it's perfectly good to want to show your new (awesome!) creation ... so you can point people to your new thread if you want (using the technique I was talking about).

It's fine, it's not actually a problem. Don't worry about it, just be proud of your new soap :D
Hahaha I'm sorry I get confused so easy lol!

ok so i given it a go tonight i used soapee here is the calculations if anyone can tell me if this is ok! bit late now but still haha. -http://soapee.com/recipes/6534 (please let me know if this link works to the recipe)
The link works if you lose the leading hyphen. However, the page it goes to says: "This recipe has been marked as private and can only be viewed by the owner."

Latest posts

Back