First disaster - any ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazz_74

Reaction score
Hi all, i had my first disaster yesterday and it's affected two things that i was making. I was making a hemp and oat soap and matching hand cream for Christmas gifts for my family and both have suffered from splitting with oils leaking out of the emulsion. Both were going fine until i added the essential oils, which were benzoine, ylang ylang and orange.

Even more strangely is that i've made the hand cream many times before with absolutely no issues, but seeing as the same issue has affected both products and at the point that the EO were added they do seem to be the culprit, i just can't work out why.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

I have just had the exact same issue with benzoin... was looking for help and came across your post! I wonder if it's the culprit?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Were you using a high percentage of Benzoin? I have shave soaps that include it so it's obviously possible to use it in soap but they are at a low usage, the one i made it was the predominant scent in there, and obviously Benzoin isn't actually an oil it's a resin dissolved in glycerin. I wonder if at high usage rates the resin does something to the soap.
Incidentally, the hand cream sorted itself out after a night in the fridge, the soap had to go in the bin though.

Back