First Deer Tallow Hunting Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
TL;DR: I’m making a deer tallow soap for hunting deer, recipe below, and input appreciated.
Happy New Year 2022! This most recent deer season I got TWO deer!!! This is the first time I’ve shot a deer since I started making soap. So as a soap maker who hunts, I of course was looking forward to trying to save every bit of fat that I could! I butchered both of them myself, which was also a first. I saved every scrap to render, and I also saved the fat cap from a huge batch of bone broth. I wet rendered it all 4 times with salt water until it was white and beautiful. Today, on New Year’s Day I’m going make something for myself, that I legally can not sell. My intention is to gift it to folks I’d like to hunt with this year, and/or make soap for them from something they hunted. This soap feels like a big deal for me, and the coming together of two of my favorite things in life.
I’m going to use some clay for colorant and do a semi camo sort of thing. I can’t decide if I’m going to use an essential oil like cedar, or something a deer would already smell, or leave it unscented. I also can’t decide if I want to use honey, and/or goat milk. I do not mind smelling like deer attractant! I’m using higher than normal CO to have a higher cleansing property, for getting off more people smell. Also, not sure if I want to use an exfolliant. Has anyone here used dried corn meal?
Below is my current recipe, but I’m thinking on those other ideas.
Any recipe thoughts or inputs appreciated! ❤️🦌🧼

Attachments

• 594D7DB7-560E-4ACC-AE7A-2E4AD660B9BF.jpeg
    594D7DB7-560E-4ACC-AE7A-2E4AD660B9BF.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 28
  • A83C46D5-A5CA-479A-B606-1E53A79C0450.png
    A83C46D5-A5CA-479A-B606-1E53A79C0450.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 28
I went with about 20 percent tallow and 15 percent coconut and castor and lard. My numbers came out close to yours but for the cleaning which was 11 on mine. I did worry about such high numbers on
Linoleic
Linolenic
being close to 15 but only due to reading and not experience.
Problem is that I have not used it yet to know how it works.
Can't wait for yours to be done and you updating your thoughts on what you ended up with. I was hoping that the bars might last a bit longer then my lard and coconut oil bars but yet get close to the same feel.
Cheers
gww

I might drop the linoleic + linolenic a little in favor of oleic, but that just reflects how I’m making soap these days. Your recipe should make nice bubbles and have a bit of a slip to it from the L+L and clay.

I keep trying to get my hands on some deer tallow, but I think our eastern deer are small and skinny compared to the deer out west. I have bear and sheep fat that I need to render. You’ve inspired me!

As to the scent, I'm not sure that animals interpret scent the same way we humans do. I don't know if cedar EO (or any EO) would smell like anything they would naturally smell in the woods. Then again, it might so I'd look into it a little bit. Good for you for using as much of the deer as you can, and making something for yourself. It must be a very self sufficient feeling!

I might drop the linoleic + linolenic a little in favor of oleic, but that just reflects how I’m making soap these days. Your recipe should make nice bubbles and have a bit of a slip to it from the L+L and clay.

I keep trying to get my hands on some deer tallow, but I think our eastern deer are small and skinny compared to the deer out west. I have bear and sheep fat that I need to render. You’ve inspired me!
I really hope for some bear next year! Bear ham….. 😋

@TashaBird You are one amazing lady! It about wore me out to read the soap you have in mind and all you are going through to make it! It reminds me of a recipe in an antique cookbook we have. For cooking squirrel, the recipe starts with, "First, go out and shoot a squirrel!" 🤣

Your recipe looks fine to me. Personnally I wouldn't bother with any additives (clay, honey, milk, exfoliant, etc.) and just make a small batch, plain bar, to start with. One thing you should be aware of is that deer tallow has a gamey odor after it is made into soap. I was gifted with one once and absolutely loved it except for the smell. Something to keep in mind.

You may want to use Oakmoss to Offset the Odor of Lard & Tallow

“I might drop the linoleic + linolenic a little in favor of oleic,”
@Mobjack Bay can these oils be adjusted for that?

How about this? What are the qualities of linoleic + linolenic vs oleic?

Alrighty, this is what I’m going with. I was trying to use up every scrap of tallow in the soap until I realized I’d like to make myself a lip balm. So, I think this is the recipe I’ll use. No fragrance.
🤞🏼
9BA0AD82-E36B-42FA-AA05-7EEAFC32E164.png
C340C1C3-29FF-4B81-8A69-D59CD54EF307.png

Realize I didn’t have any MB lye and had to make some. I mixed 247g lye and 247g water, it’s cooling, currently 140F. (That math right? And, can I pour mystery % lye water down the drain?)
Remaining water heated and mixed with honey, currently at 120F, waiting until it cools a little until I add the goat milk powder.
What temps could I shoot for mixing with this scenario?
Here are my 4 colors, Brazilian red and yellow clay, Green French clay, and AC, will have one portion uncolored.
No fragrance.
Waiting for things to cool.
I’m surprisingly nervous! It’s really nice though. I’m really excited!

Attachments

• 2DBAA78C-A972-45A1-8772-48DB8E3BDD18.png
    2DBAA78C-A972-45A1-8772-48DB8E3BDD18.png
    866.7 KB · Views: 18
Ooh! And, would you gel this soap in a cooler on a heating pad, cover it with a towel on the counter, leave it out uncovered, or put it in the fridge.

@TashaBird You are one amazing lady! It about wore me out to read the soap you have in mind and all you are going through to make it! It reminds me of a recipe in an antique cookbook we have. For cooking squirrel, the recipe starts with, "First, go out and shoot a squirrel!" 🤣

Your recipe looks fine to me. Personnally I wouldn't bother with any additives (clay, honey, milk, exfoliant, etc.) and just make a small batch, plain bar, to start with. One thing you should be aware of is that deer tallow has a gamey odor after it is made into soap. I was gifted with one once and absolutely loved it except for the smell. Something to keep in mind.

You may want to use Oakmoss to Offset the Odor of Lard & Tallow
Thank you for the oak moss tip! I saved the link. For this particular soap, I don’t mind if it’s a big gamey, as I plan to use it while hunting game. Let’s just say… I’ve put worse smells on myself! 😆

It doesn't matter, although color intensifies when soap is gelled.

ETA: So adding honey can make your soap gel. If adding honey, don’t bother with any other methods of keeping the heat in. I find that the honey itself is enough to ensure gel provided temperatures are normal and the room is normal room temperature. Insulating a honey soap can result in cracks or volcanoes where the soap heats up too fast, expands and pours out of the mould like a volcano.

Source: Should I Gel My Soap?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, although color intensifies when soap is gelled.

ETA: So adding honey can make your soap gel. If adding honey, don’t bother with any other methods of keeping the heat in. I find that the honey itself is enough to ensure gel provided temperatures are normal and the room is normal room temperature. Insulating a honey soap can result in cracks or volcanoes where the soap heats up too fast, expands and pours out of the mould like a volcano.

Source: Should I Gel My Soap?
My honey goat milk lye turned orange! Ack! I thought I could keep it white-ish! I waited until GMnH solution was 70F and MB Lye solution was 60F. Did I add them together too quickly? Or was it inevitable? Should I start over tomorrow and throw it out? 😩

I know there are many soap artist on this site but have to admit that color does not bother me at all if it works and does not have an off smell. I have a hard time throwing it away if it cleans and I like orange and if it goes brown, no biggie. You could rebatch and add color though rebatching may not be worth it due to the work. Forget what I said and go with Zany.
Cheers
gww

Sorry, I didn’t see your question earlier! I am now on my phone because my internet is down. 😳 Replacing some or all of the RBO with avocado oil would drop the L+L because RBO is higher in L+L compared with avocado. My soaps with L+L at 12-15% feel just a wee bit slicker/silkier than the ones made at 8 or 9%.

Went with it. Super happy! Was stressed about the orange, but remembered it would be dispersed. Used green French clay, red and yellow Brazilian clay, AC, and one uncolored portion. At first I was going for army style camo. But I couldn’t wait for it to be thick enough to spoon it in. (I was out of patience!) And I realized hunting camp looks more broken up like the forest. So, I just had fun with it! I’m super excited about it!!
033DC2B0-BA29-4E34-899C-3196EB7D995F.jpeg

I love them! 😁 they smell slightly sweet and not weird at all. Surely the honey goat milk is doing something, also deer tallow at %30. I could’ve done a %100 bar, I have a %100 beef tallow that’s a good seller. But I want to gift these and have them be a real nice using soap!
Im shocked at how light the uncolored portion is due to how dark orange my GM, honey, lye solution was! Note to self for next time. I love how fun the pattern was to make once I just went with it! It’s actually VERY camo!
Thanks everyone for your help and input!
ABF20ADD-4D4B-4A41-908E-8BE058BE37DA.jpeg

Attachments

• 64A87015-D953-4A44-9288-04C8BC013445.jpeg
    64A87015-D953-4A44-9288-04C8BC013445.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 15
  • 23045308-037E-4725-8F81-34399271A919.jpeg
    23045308-037E-4725-8F81-34399271A919.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 6B97EAEB-1AF0-4D8B-9430-3458901B94AE.jpeg
    6B97EAEB-1AF0-4D8B-9430-3458901B94AE.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 3BBC9415-EAE3-4E65-887F-A33759C549F3.jpeg
    3BBC9415-EAE3-4E65-887F-A33759C549F3.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2F103817-E6F1-4920-92A4-327DBDE236E5.jpeg
    2F103817-E6F1-4920-92A4-327DBDE236E5.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DF2ED7BF-6D2C-48F0-B411-BE4904F6374F.jpeg
    DF2ED7BF-6D2C-48F0-B411-BE4904F6374F.jpeg
    376.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Gorgeous. I still haven't managed to acquire deer fat yet, but let us know how it performs. You know, in case I want to borrow your recipe...🤣

Amazing! This would deserve the name “tiger swirl” more than what is commonly called tiger swirl. Though, some smart feline predator aficionado will probably point out that neither is anywhere similar actual tiger patterns.
Just wow. I'm sure whoever receives one will be just as amazed!

Im shocked at how light the uncolored portion is due to how dark orange my GM, honey, lye solution was! Note to self for next time.
I was panicking when lemon juice turned dark orange-red – nothing of that colour was left after saponification!

Back