First CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueIce

Reaction score
My wife and I made our first CP soap yesterday. It originally was going to be the Soaping101 Dollar Store soap to try it out on the cheap. I went to our local dollar store and I could only find some of the tools and no ingredients. I looked up and down the aisles. So this soap ended up with different ingredients and was more expensive to produce.

We used:
33% Coconut Oil
25% Canola Oil
25% Olive Oil
12% Cocoa Butter
5% Milk

Additives:
Honey + Ground Oatmeal

After digging around for some info, I found that our soap reached a partial gel phase. I'm trying to determine if the tiny spots are unmixed honey or oatmeal OR DOS. I didn't conduct any zap test on the soap.

We used a silicone soap mold from Amazon and left it in the basement overnight. We now have the bars sitting near our dehumidifier in the basement.

IMG_0173.jpeg
IMG_0174.jpegIMG_0175.jpeg

Congratulations. However, your recipe doesn’t equal 100%. Milk is a liquid that would replace or ied in conjunction with water and isn’t counted in the oils/fats. Did you run this through a soap calculator? What Superfat did you use? It may or may not be lye heavy.

I did run it through Soapmakingfriend. I guess I mistook the Milk Fat as Milk and being part of the oils. It is supposed to have a 5% superfat. So maybe it will equal out?

It was setup to use a 33% lye concentration.

Those spots are not DOS - DOS is visable racidity going on, and I can't imagine many situations where you'd get DOS so quickly. I would say it's larger pieces of the oatmeal. Many additives get turned to a lovely shade of mouse-poo brown because of the lye.

Those spots are not DOS - DOS is visable racidity going on, and I can't imagine many situations where you'd get DOS so quickly. I would say it's larger pieces of the oatmeal. Many additives get turned to a lovely shade of mouse-poo brown because of the lye.
Glad to see you back in EG. What's been happening ? besides life :).

Back