Quantcast

First CP soap!!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ajharris

Reaction score
I poured my first soap batch into the mold about 2 hours ago! I am so excited about making soap. I used a simple Crisco soap recipe. I hope this turns out. I can't wait to make some more!

digit

Reaction score
Gosh.......now I am excited for you! Be sure to keep us updated!

Digit

Rebelshope

Reaction score
This is the hard part. Now you have wait. . . . and wait. . . .

Congrats on taking the plunge. My first batch is finally done and it is SO nice to use your own soap!

JumpinKaren

Reaction score
Wahoo!

One day after my first batch of CP soap came... my first batch of HP soap! I realized that I could not wait an entire month to find out what home made soap was all about.

-Karen

Haven

Reaction score
JumpinKaren said:
Wahoo!

One day after my first batch of CP soap came... my first batch of HP soap! I realized that I could not wait an entire month to find out what home made soap was all about.

-Karen
This. I couldn't wait either.

Congratulations!

ajharris

Reaction score
Well, I didn't let it set for 24 hours, it was more like 11. I took it from the mold, and cut it. The soap is still pretty soft, and the box I cut it in, is pretty greasy. Is this normal? Here is a picture of it. How long will it take before it starts to harden up? This is as soft as the crisco was. Any suggestions are welcome.

digit

Reaction score
They look beautiful!!! So is your little peeker. :lol:

As far as being soft, depending on the ingredients and water %, it will harden over time as it cures and dries.

I can not say for sure about the "greasy" film on the box. Double check your calculations. Could it simply just be wet from the soap? Is it lye or un-incorporated oils? If you know it is not lye, give it a day or two to dry a bit. JMHO - Might want to put it on something besides cardboard that will not wick from the soap.

Congrats again!!

Digit

ajharris

Reaction score
digit said:
They look beautiful!!! So is your little peeker. :lol:

As far as being soft, depending on the ingredients and water %, it will harden over time as it cures and dries.

I can not say for sure about the "greasy" film on the box. Double check your calculations. Could it simply just be wet from the soap? Is it lye or un-incorporated oils? If you know it is not lye, give it a day or two to dry a bit. JMHO - Might want to put it on something besides cardboard that will not wick from the soap.

Congrats again!!

Digit
Thanks! The recipe is 3 lbs of Crisco, 16 oz water, and 6 oz of lye. I will find something else to put the soap in. Would a plastic container work?

digit

Reaction score
That is going to be a soft bar and your superfat is a bit high at 7% for the numbers. In my opinion, that is. But I am no soap guru.

A plastic container would be fine, providing that the greasy areas are indeed not lye. BUT the idea is to have air flow around the bars. I use plastic trays (with a wax paper liner) that have short slotted sides from the dollar store, like you would put in the junk drawer if you are the organized type. :lol: Then flip the bars every couple of days.

Digit

Edited to add: Or just line the box with freezer paper and space the bars on their narrow end. :D

Latest posts