First CP batch - What is this on my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I made my first 1lb batch of CP yesterday. I just unmolded and cut it, and saw the discoloration in the photo, the small white, creamy looking spot. I used a 1lb silicone mold from BB, insulated with a towel to promote gel, (insulated 18hrs) but I don't think it gelled. It has a somewhat translucent look around the very edges, but is more matte and opaque/creamy color in middle.

Is this a lye pocket or something I should be concerned with? It's hard, and does not have any liquid inside. As you can see it does not go all the way through, it's merely on the outside. Is it because I tried to color the soap white with TD and this is an example of TD rivers? A couple other bars have small lines of this same color through it?

Am I just making a mtn out of a molehill because I am a newbie? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thanks in advance :)

2013-09-10 16.38.36.jpg

First, congratulations, that is very nice soap.

I suspect that your colorant didn't mix evenly all the way through. There might have been a little on the bottom or side of your container that you missed or had more TD than the rest. Or if you used a FO that browns your soap, maybe that portion wasn't fully scented. It appears to be a cosmetic issue only, based on how you describe it.

LOL- yes mountain out of a molehill. I'm with Judy that is a colorant issue. The soap looks fine.

A note about gel though- it is sometimes pretty hard to achieve a full gel with a smaller mold or soap recipe. I find that my 2 pound recipes do not gel half the time unless I'm using milk or spices. But I can almost always gel a 3-4 batch. The more soap you have in the recipe, the easier the gel will be.

Thanks!! I was hoping I was overreacting :). And thanks for the tip about gel in small molds, I will keep that in mind for the next batch this week!

:) You deserve it- the soap looks nice even with that half pic- a whole pic would be good since we love the pics around here. :)

Nice soap! and congrats on the first batch! so are you hooked? :-D

ha! I was hooked before I even made my first batch! I am making a second batch tomorrow. I actually just tossed that one because I think I am bothered by the Lavender in the FO I used. As soon as I unmolded I got a major headache, hubby had to get it out of the house. So no more lavender, I will post a full pic of my second batch this weekend :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Latest posts

Back