First casualty - Batch #39

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Finally had my first failed batch after 38 successes. It’s a recipe that I have used many times so won’t go into the details. It just would not come to trace. I have not been stick blending for awhile now because I only make 2.5lb batches. Usually just take my time and stir away with my spatula. It was late at night so I didn’t want to bust out the stick blender and make a bunch of noise. Should have know better than to pour because I knew it was barely at an emulsion. The FO was Seven Isles from Nurture Soap. Can FO’s cause a recipe to not come to trace? I mean I stirred on and off for 20-30 minutes. Very strange. Also very sucky feeling dumping out the contents of a 2.5lb mold.

I'm sorry that happened @SoapDaddy70. Some FOs can definitely decelerate trace, but I can't speak from personal experience on this one. I do know that I have never had a fragrance oil completely prevent trace though. Even the FOs that repeatedly separate after stick blending eventually come together. You probably just needed more time and/or a stick blender would have helped. At least you know what to expect with that FO now if you use it again.

Can FO’s cause a recipe to not come to trace?

I know that some FOs can slow down trace...some more so than other...but if you hadn't reached emulsion or even a slight trace when you added the FO, (a lot of times I'll add my FO to the oils) that it could have affected it Unless you need the mold, let it sit for a few days and see what happens.

Do you at least have stable emulsion, i. e. no separation risk? If unsure, put it in the fridge, to have at least some false trace 😕 until the lye eventually decides to attack the oils.

I guess you can exclude stupid errors, like forgetting to dissolve lye in the water?

Back