First candles, need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClicksNwicks

Reaction score
Hi! I'm hoping someone can tell me if the amount of wax on the inside walls of my tin are acceptable. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is okay based on articles I've read (no pictures!). Thank you!

20180217_195446.jpg
Forgot the picture o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
What burn is this? First Second etc? How did the tin feel to you as it was burning?
It looks OK to me, but I haven't done tins in awhile. I do know that the tins get
very hot towards the end, so it is OK for hang up on the first few burns.
What size tin is this and wick size?

Otherwise, it looks like you got a great burn going so far

Thank you for your response! I believe that was after the 3rd burn. I didn't feel the tin, should I be doing that? What am I looking for?

It's a 4 oz tin with an EcoScience 4 wick.

You should certainly feel the tin as it burns down to see how hot it gets. Tins heat up. You don't want it too
hot that you can't touch it :)

Looks pretty good. As a candle burns down it burns out to the sides. Can't tell the size of the tin. But it looks like the burn is about half way down? On the next couple of burns it should finish cleaning up the sides.

In most cases you are not going to want a full melt pool on the first burn due "Trapped Heat" of a candle.

Looks pretty good. As a candle burns down it burns out to the sides. Can't tell the size of the tin. But it looks like the burn is about half way down? On the next couple of burns it should finish cleaning up the sides.

In most cases you are not going to want a full melt pool on the first burn due "Trapped Heat" of a candle.
I believe he said this was the 3rd burn.

It may catch up, but I think with this being the 3rd burn and there is that much hang-up, you might need to wick up. I'd burn it to the end and see how it does with the consequential burns.

Yep, I don't think he will be able to really know until the entire candle is burned. We take notes at every step but depending on the entire burn I wouldn't make any judgements until the end. Nothing looks bad. Third burn, depending on how deep the candle is (probably still in the first half) cling (not walls) and can easily be made up. And if it is a deeper candle and in a metal tin it could end up being a flame thrower by the end :) Burn it all the way down, touch the sides and see what you get. (And by burn all the way I mean burn until yo tell your people to stop burning on the warning label)

Back