First Batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKK

Reaction score
And here is the first batch... my own recipe, clay coloring, ground oats, and essential oils. Vegan and nut-free. Not very uniform in size but I didn't worry about that much as I wanted more small bars to give away after curing for friends and ohana to give me feedback. Doing another batch tomorrow since it'll be a cold and snowy day. Lavender ! This is fun!

Attachments

• Soap1.jpg
    Soap1.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 41
So glad you enjoyed it! I highly recommend that you put a layer of parchment paper or freezer paper between the metal rack and your fresh soap bars. Contact with metal (other than quality stainless steel) is a cause of rancidity in soap, aka Dreaded Orange Spots (DOS). Many cooling racks that purport to be stainless only have a thin coating that cracks and chips over time, exposing the other metals underneath. Best not to chance it. :)

So glad you enjoyed it! I highly recommend that you put a layer of parchment paper or freezer paper between the metal rack and your fresh soap bars. Contact with metal (other than quality stainless steel) is a cause of rancidity in soap, aka Dreaded Orange Spots (DOS). Many cooling racks that purport to be stainless only have a thin coating that cracks and chips over time, exposing the other metals underneath. Best not to chance it. :)
Thanks! Someone else mentioned that and I fixed it right away. Lots to learn I have 😉 When it warms up here I'll be outside making some nice drying racks outta wood.

Congrats! That is really something. I like the colors and subtle design. What's the scent?
Orange (EO and some zest), Lavender, Rosemary... not strong enough though as I just used some small amounts I had around. Ready to try some more batches this week as I just got some larger amounts of EOs and have some combos to try now :>)

[/QUO
I have been using the boxes from the store. The ones that are cut down to about 1.5 in. My favorite is the canned cat food boxes. They hold 10 bars plus enough room for scrap pieces for samples. I just put a few sheets of bakery paper, the same stuff I use to wrap my soaps, in the bottom and I also use them to house my EOs and FOs. I use the dollar store metal trays when I am setting up my next batch for my additives and EOs and tools. In my profile pic is an example of the boxes. They work great and after a few times I just use another one. Also I transfer the bakery paper to the container I use to store them. The fragrance is in the tissue paper and keeps the container smelling so good. I use plastic shoe box size boxes to store my soap, also from the dollar store. This has kept my costs down for trays and I have wire shelves I dry them on. Who doesn't like FREE?

Back