First batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I made my first batch last night, I'm so excited! Admittedly it was from a kit, but that just means that all the calculations and weighting is done for you, but now I've done it once, I'm more confident that I'll be able to do it again. šŸ˜

I did make the common beginner mistake of over-blending - I just couldn't see anything I'd describe as a "trace"... I think the fragrance oil included with the kit probably accelerated it too, as it went from a thick pouring custard type consistency, to a gloopy pudding very fast after I added it...

I was ambitiously going to attempt a swirl, but when it thickened up so fast I just dumped it in the mould and vaguely stirred the colours together, so we'll see what wierdness we get when I cut it later! It did mean I got to have a go at a spoon texture on top before I added the lavender buds...

Regardless of the aesthetics, it smells amazing, is hardening up nicely and is definitely soap... šŸ˜

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_100415__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20210211_100415__01__01.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 48
Congratulations, the stick blending will get easier. Fragrances will make a difference in your blending. I always try to look for fragrance that behaves nicely in soap from other reviewers so I will know what I am in for.

Sliced into bars... I can see some places where it went slightly wrong - I suspect I didn't stir the fragrance oil in well enough, I don't *think* that's DOS?

The knife slices aren't entirely even, but I'm happy with them. Now resting on a high shelf near the dehumidifier...

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_124146.jpg
    IMG_20210211_124146.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 52
Well done! I'm starting to slowly collect supplies for my first go at CP. It's fun to see people sharing their first go round with it! Thank you for posting yours--I love looking at soap pictures from "real" people! (as opposed to like a business)

Sliced into bars... I can see some places where it went slightly wrong - I suspect I didn't stir the fragrance oil in well enough, I don't *think* that's DOS?

The knife slices aren't entirely even, but I'm happy with them. Now resting on a high shelf near the dehumidifier...
There's no way it could be DOS... that developes over time. You're probably right suspecting the FO.

Congratulations on your first batch and welcome to the addiction.

:nodding:

I did my first batch in January and have just completed my fourth, all different recipes so that I can compare when they are cured. It took me a year to actually do this. I got all the bits of equipment I needed at the end of 2019!

Attachments

• 8C59DC34-B480-4A2D-A181-FDC35669C6D3.jpeg
    8C59DC34-B480-4A2D-A181-FDC35669C6D3.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 28
I did make the common beginner mistake of over-blending
I assume you made about a 2.5lb batch. I started making soap in September and after my 3rd or 4th batch of quick tracing batter I stopped using my stick blender and now I just stir with a spatula. So much more relaxing than worrying about over stick blending. Most of the people you watch on You Tube are making large batches that warrant a stick blender and even they only do small bursts here and there. If your batches are small like mine (8 bar molds) try just stirring and see if you like it. Stirring also helps you understand what emulsion feels like as opposed to light trace. Sometimes stick blending zooms you right past emulsion into thin trace and sometimes right to medium/thick trace. It's oddly relaxing stirring soap batter with a spatula:p

There's no turning back now! Unsolicited tip, put your scale inside a sandwich bag. Just trying to save a scale from an ugly death, not that I have personal experience....

Thanks for the tip! It wasn't exactly expensive and is getting on a bit now, but being without one would be annoying!

I did make the common beginner mistake of over-blending - I just couldn't see anything I'd describe as a "trace"... I think the fragrance oil included with the kit probably accelerated it too, as it went from a thick pouring custard type consistency, to a gloopy pudding very fast after I added it...

Lisa at "I Dream In Soap" has some excellent techniques...she has one on Emulsion/Trace and I recommend binge watching all her stuff, take note and save the videos for later review.

Lisa at "I Dream In Soap" has some excellent techniques...she has one on Emulsion/Trace and I recommend binge watching all her stuff, take note and save the videos for later review.

Thank you, I'll take a look. I've binged most of Royalty soaps tutorial videos and am watching loads of Elly's everyday soap making at the moment...

Latest posts

Back