First Batch questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TIP:
For WHITE GMS (CP) stick the mold in the fridge over night to prevent gel. You don't need TD.
Compare to TAN (CP or HP) GMS where you cover and insulate with old towels or a blanket to insure gel -- which, btw, intensifies whatever color you use.

ADVICE: Embrace the tan. Customers do. Not using colorants improves the profit margin, not to mention all the T & E you are likely to experience "getting it right." ;) Better to spend the time and $$ focused on fragrance. Fragrance sells!!!

OPTION: I sometimes use white Kaolin clay to lay down a white foundation for the colorant ( 🤞 )
The only time I use TD is to make sunscreen!:thumbs: But that's just me. 😁 Not a fan.

Awesome advice. Thanks!

Awesome advice. Thanks!
I agree with not using TD, at least in the beginning. It often thickens the batter, makes clumps, encourages glycerin rivers... it's a naughty little substance! and as Zany noted, customers interested in GMS probably expect that soap to be at least light tan, if not medium to dark tan.

Last edited:
The worst that can happen is I fill up a garbage bag with bad soap, burn my eyes out with Lye, and waste some time
Oh, that's not the worst thing that can happen. More likely, you will have so much soap on hand that all your friends and family won't take any more and you'll need to think about "storage" -- big time! haha.

About the recipes, I would post #4 in the Recipe Feedback forum with "Salt Bar" somewhere in the title to draw attention from members who make salt bars. I haven't done that yet but from what little I've read you may need expert advice to pull it off on your first attempt.

One other piece of advice -- I noticed you are pricing the cost of making each bar which is fantastic! Good thinking. However, even though different bars cost more or less to make, sell all at the same price, i.e. whatever the going rate is where you are. Leave ample "wiggle room" for increases in raw materials so you're not uping the cost every year and for discounting to move slow inventory when the need arises. For example: $6.50 each or $15 for 3 bars.

One other piece of advice -- I noticed you are pricing the cost of making each bar which is fantastic! Good thinking. However, even though different bars cost more or less to make, sell all at the same price, i.e. whatever the going rate is where you are. Leave ample "wiggle room" for increases in raw materials so you're not uping the cost every year and for discounting to move slow inventory when the need arises. For example: $6.50 each or $15 for 3 bars.

The going rate here is $5-8 per bar depending on how basic or pretty they are.

If the goal is to simplify pricing I'm thinking $5 for basic 5oz 1-2 color GMS unscented or maybe naturally scented with whatever a cheap natural scent option is and $7 for 5oz premium bar that would have FO or EO as well as extra ingredients such as like sorbitol, Tussah, KC, 2-3 mica's, sea salt, Aloe powder, etc.

Those salt bars are expensive to make though as well as using aloe. Those two really should be priced at $8

I don't see how one could justify pricing a basic bar and premium bar for the same amount.

TIP:
For WHITE GMS (CP) stick the mold in the fridge over night to prevent gel. You don't need TD.
Compare to TAN (CP or HP) GMS where you cover and insulate with old towels or a blanket to insure gel -- which, btw, intensifies whatever color you use.

ADVICE: Embrace the tan. Customers do. Not using colorants improves the profit margin, not to mention all the T & E you are likely to experience "getting it right." ;) Better to spend the time and $$ focused on fragrance. Fragrance sells!!!

OPTION: I sometimes use white Kaolin clay to lay down a white foundation for the colorant ( 🤞 )
The only time I use TD is to make sunscreen!:thumbs: But that's just me. 😁 Not a fan.
Time and energy getting soap “white” is “right” 🤣😂🤣

Oh, that's not the worst thing that can happen. More likely, you will have so much soap on hand that all your friends and family won't take any more and you'll need to think about "storage" -- big time! haha.
I’m not wanting to HighJack , but based on your answer to @AxtFarm I have another suggestion to offer. If you can’t give away to family and friends because they have enough... if you know anyone in the military, they love it. My grandson is on leave and visiting us with two buds. They’re taking a lot back to the barracks. Another option for you with your imperfect trials. I have plenty of those and those guys love them!

In case anyone here isn't in my other thread.

Batch one at 24 hrs

Attachments

• 20210530_155237.jpg
    20210530_155237.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back